Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low voltage recessed lighting for artwork, sloped ceiling

Posted by badgergal (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 21:15

We have a 4' by 5 1/2' framed picture that we would like to shine some light on. The ceiling above the art work is sloped. At the center of the picture the ceiling is approximately 11' high. We would like to use low voltage recessed lighting with a 4'' can. It will have to be a remodel can as there is no acess from above.
It was suggested to us that we use Juno 4'' MR16 Universal with their Aiming Elbow which has a 75 degree vertical adjustment. The housing does not say it's for a sloped ceiling. Do you need housing for a sloped ceiling when using the Aiming Elbow in this case? Will it light the picture correctly? Also will we need one light or two lights for the size of the painting? How far from the wall should the cans be placed?
Thank you for any assistance or suggestions for this lighting situations.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low voltage recessed lighting for artwork, sloped ceiling

If you don't already have light fixtures in the ceiling, you would have to plan on having the necessary wiring done. It is likely that 4 (or more) lights would be more appropriate.

Have you considered alternatives such as track, wall wash lighting?

o
RE: Low voltage recessed lighting for artwork, sloped ceiling

Just thought I'd post a picture of my lighted art work. We ended up using just one 4 inch recessed low voltage light with the aiming elbow trim. To me it does not look like it needs the 4 or more lights that the previous poster suggested.
There certainly is a big difference in how the art looks with and without being lit.
First picture is with recessed light off. The flash made a white spot on picture.
Photobucket
Second picture is with light turned on. No flash needed on camera
Photobucket
what do you think?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here