Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Cree can lights are changing color

Posted by duluthjeff (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 21:11

We put six cree ceiling can lights in our kitchen when we built 5 years ago. They are the 2700K (warm white) models. In the last few months, first one, and now several of them suddenly change from their normal light color to a rose-colored light after being switched on for several minutes. Cooking has become a psychedelic experience!

Obviously, the blue component in the LED 'light engine' (or whatever they call it) is failing. Has anyone else had similar problems with Cree lights? I bought them because of their low power use per lumen, and expected (wrongly it seems) that they would outlive me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Cree can lights are changing color

Really? Over the past five years on this forum there are usually at least two active threads about Cree downlights. Hasn't anyone experienced a loss of white balance but me? I guess I'm special!

o
RE: My Cree can lights are changing color

I have 30+ of the CR6 units in my house. The 2700K units have been fine. The 5000K have been another story. I've had a number of the 5000K units fail after a few months. They start 'pulsing'. Home Depot has been fine exchanging them with new ones, but in any event it is a PITA. Various reviewers reviewers have said the same on the HD web site.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here