Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prospect711

Vanity Lighting - Side and Top Both???

prospect711
12 years ago

We are planning a bathroom remodel. One of the deficiencies of the old bath is lighting. Our current plan includes mirrored medicine cabinet, inset, with a top light and side sconces. We have been consulting with a designer who thinks that will not look right.

Has anybody done both side sconces and a top light fixture? Any thoughts are welcome.

Comments (6)

• sidvermawt
    12 years ago

When it comes to bathroom vanity lighting, overhead lights are simply not good enough. When light shines only from above, you will see unsightly dark shadows under your eyes and the texture of your skin will be accentuated. Sconces typicay on each side of mirror provide even lighting for both sides of your face.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Funny, the lighting designer (just a self-titled expert at our only local lighting store) I used for my whole house reno said to use both a vanity light above the sink on the wall AND scones to the sides of the mirror. She said it would light your face well. I've only ever had the ugly old vanity light bars in bathrooms so I really don't know what sconce light looks like.

In the end due to our ceiling height and decision to run the vanity mirro to the tall, vaulted ceiling, we choose to use sconces set on the mirror. Because I'm a light fiend and because I was afraid that might not be enough light for any future make-up projects with kids, etc., I decided on a 6" recessed can over the sink also.

The bathroom is nowhere near done so I can't see if my decision was the right one. Good luck!

• sbkim
    12 years ago

I have a similar question. I want to make sure vanity mirror area is adequately bright with no shadow. I keep reading that light above the mirror will cast shadow and that I should use sconces to the side. I am curious if it's best to have over the mirror light (diffused) with sconces to both sides at eye level. Or is it better to just have the sconces to the sides? Thanks!

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

I keep thinking that three light units would be best too. One light/strip/whatever on the top and one on each side of the mirror. In my case, I want to wall-mount a mirror so that I can use the magnified or "make-up" mirror in combination with good lighting to, well, apply makeup and deal with contact lens issues. So how do the sconces work then?

Anyone? Pictures helpful. TIA!

• njgolfnut
    11 years ago

Searched and found this thread regarding lighting. Just tyring to see what the consensus is regarding sconces or lights above the mirror, or both. We have two sinks, vanity is approx 112" long. I think it's one or the other for us. We'll have can lights in the ceiling, but I want something softer but adequate near the mirrors. Just can't decided between sconces or lights above the mirrors. Thoughts?