Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Florescent Lights? Help!

Posted by gkrizel (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 20:10

We are in the process of approving drawings of our addition. We are adding a laundry room that will also double as a creative space (sewing crafting etc) I noticed that the builder has indicated 4' bulb florescent lights. Now I know I am not the expert here but florescent lights? I thought those were dead and buried these days- Or at least limited to offices, grocery stores etc. Do people really use these in their homes? Maybe its taking me off guard because I envision this space as my personal escape from the world and a place to create so sitting under florescent bulbs sounds like a form or torture. Am I out of touch with todays lighting trends or is my builder old school?
Thanks!
g

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Florescent Lights? Help!

T8 fluorescent lighting is used in homes as the initial investment is relatively small. If you're more inclined to use led, the Cree cr14 could be an alternative.

o

What is not to like about linear fluorescents? They have never been better. T5 or T8 have a great choice of color temp and you can get lamps with a good CRI. Initial outlay is low, they are trouble-free, they use little energy, and there are a large range of attractive luminaires. You don't need to know that there are linear tubes above or around you because you will never see, or hear them.

If your builder is not coming up with the space you want, tell them it is the personal escape room with washer and dryer hookups rather than a laundry room.

P.S., you might have a situation similar to a recent poster, judysgardens , in this forum.

This post was edited by ionized on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 15:11

o

During my remodel, I installed 4 tube 4 foot fixtures in my laundry,
pantry, and one of my closets. Great light. Efficient and very long
lasting. I also have them in my home office, 2 fixtures (8 tubes total) in
a 13x13 room.

I wouldn't put them in the kitchen.

o

That is a lot of light in a 13 x 13 if they are "normal" ballast factor and lamps! Are they all switched together?

o

Two switches, each controlling 4 tubes (2 in each fixture). I usually have
all on if I am working. OTOH, I have 20 CR6's in my kitchen, plus under cabinet lighting and ceiling cove lighting, -- so you know I like a lot of light.

o

> What is not to like about linear fluorescents?

You can't use them with dimmers, unless you use pricey dimming ballasts and dimmers meant for use with them. And the tubes contain a small amount of mercury.

Fluorescent tubes don't have much of a future. But for maybe another 2 or 3 years they will be the least expensive way to light a larger room. After that, LEDs will probably be almost as cheap.

o

Yes, trying to dim arc lamps is a stupid idea to any thoughtful person.

I am a fan of discrete, as opposed to continuous dimming. Rather than Attofarad's 50/50 approach, I like 33/66/100. It is easily done with some extra cables and an extra switch. Dimmers seem pretty unreliable compared to switches and now need to be matched to the lamps. So far, I have not come across an incompatible SPST switch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here