Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED or Xenon

Posted by theultimatebikerchic (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 19:56

Hello!

I'm in the midst of a kitchen reno (gutting)and need an unbiased opinion from the experienced. I would like hardwired dimmable LEDs for UCL and think I'm going with the Philips eW Profile Powercore LED for its simplicity. My electrician is fine with LED but thinks I'm going with Kichler which he is intalling on his current project (he is currently on vacation so I haven't consulted with him on the Philips choice).

My DH, who has access to many electricians, said he has been advised not to go with LED. "LED is not there yet- LEDs fail, go with Xenon" this particular electrician told him.

The prices look similar. I like the LED for the savings on electricity. I have read that Xenon is hot which I don't have an issue with.

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED or Xenon

The Philips solution would work great. The power core LEDs are dimmable.

The Powercore LEDs have a longer lifespan and produce more light than xenon bulbs.

o

Thanks for the reassurance!

o

"My DH, who has access to many electricians, said he has been advised not to go with LED. "LED is not there yet- LEDs fail, go with Xenon" this particular electrician told him"

WRONG!

The electrician obviously doesn't have a clue about LED's.
The Philips eW Profile is a good light, and will work great. I do like Xenon lights, but LED is just better in every way, other than price, but you make that back in time. Plus you set it and forget it, you won't have any issues, but don't have the electrician that said LED's are not there yet, working on your lighting. I have to question anyone who doesn't know what they are talking about, doing the kind of work and not knowing a thing about it. Sorry for the rant, just too much disinformation out there about LED's.

o

A lot of the upscale Long Island homes are putting in xenon fixtures -hard wired of course. The bulbs combine the warm tones of incandescent bulbs with a boost from xenon gas which intensifies the light and prolongs the bulb's life. Put them on a dimmer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here