Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
struggling with choosing LED pendant light choices

Posted by gwald (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 19:21

hi - I re-did the kitchen a bit and now have a new continuous counter all along the sink wall, where there is a spot to work and 2 areas with stools for eating. There are 2 ceiling lights that light up the kitchen pretty well. My idea is to put 4 pendants in, one over the sink, one over the work area and 1 over each of the 2 eating spots. There are some pretty fancy LED pendant lights on the market, but rather than spend that much money, I see that you can get pendants relatively inexpensively that use the LED bulb E26 (8.5W 400 Lumen).
My questions are:

1. Does this seem like a viable solution?
2. Does this type of LED bulb come in different wattages?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions or ideas.

thx,
rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: struggling with choosing LED pendant light choices

Maybe it would work if you're able to use a A19 bulb (e.g. - enduraLED or the L prize bulb).

E26 is the size of the base. 8.5W for 400 lumens is rather low for LED.

The L prize bulb produces ~ 900 lumens for almost the same power consumption.

o

thx David - Do you think that there is any difference between the screw-in type bulb vs the types of bulbs that high-end fixtures would use that would make one "better" than the other. My guess is that with a more expensive track/pendant system, you are paying for the convenience and style of a track. Do you agree?

thx for your help!

o

If the fixtures you're considering use the A19 standard bulb type, the deciding factors would come down to build quality, design and style. The brand name does play a part in the pricing.

A track system is convenient way to ensure that the lights all line up, but the style and cost may not make sense.

I think getting the correct style that suits your family is just as important as raw light output.

o

I like the idea of limiting the total circuit current because I had planned to tap off of the over-head sink light switch. My thought was that if it was a small base like E26 vs A19, the total wattage would be limited.

Is your thought that the E26 ore E27 size bulbs are not versatile enough?

thx

o

The size of the base will not limit the total wattage.

The more compact LED bulbs don't have as much light output as A19 enduraLED and L Prize bulbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here