Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LED Undercabinet Lighting help

Posted by breadandsuch (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 19:11

Also posted in kitchens...

I need to decide on what type of U/C lighting I will be using. I would like to use LED as the rest of the lights in the kitchen are LED. I was told to keep all of the lights in the same range. I am using a soft white (warm light) Utilitech LED from Lowes...3000K.
My questions are...

1. Is the quality or amount of light from the ribbon/rope LED any different to the bar LED's.

2. How much trouble is converting the wire to low voltage in order to use the ribbon/tape lighting? I have a 2 inch light rail..will the transformer show?

3. Has anyone tried the LED bars from Lowes. They do not indicate what color light they give off.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LED Undercabinet Lighting help

There will be variations in quality and the amount of light produced depending on the vendor of the LED.

The answer to your second question depends on
a. The length and brightness of led bars required,
b. The circuit configuration.
c. Where the transformer/ power supply will be located. It needs to be located in an accessible location.
d. What sort of transformer/ Power supply - dimmable, magnetic or electronic?

The following discussion contains quite a bit of info with respect to low voltage LED
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lighting/msg0600194417283.html

Depending on your needs, direct wired 120V LED UCL may be easier to install. The Philips power cove LED light bars are good.

I looked at the LED bars Lowes and decided not to use them - not cost effective. The color (as I recall) is about 3000k.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here