Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two story family room dilemma...

Posted by maxiepines (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 18:48

Please help me figure out the best way to light our family room. Its got a huge vaulted ceiling and the switch turns on a teeny-tiny light over the fireplace (we call it "The Eyeball"). All we've got is a torchiere (classy, huh?), but I would love something that looks like we're grown ups that actually own the house.

The wall on the left is all windows, but we live in Portland, Oregon and sunlight is hard to come by for about 7 months a year, so we really do need good ambient lighting.

Btw, the backside of the fireplace is the exterior of the house and the backside of the tv wall is the garage (which is why we have the tv mounted there - tons of cables are hidden away in the garage). Above the ceiling is the roof - how do we go about wiring anything in this space??

Ok, this is how desperate I am for help - I'm letting you see this awful undecorated room. I'm so grateful for any suggestions you have (decor, too!). :)
Photobucket

Here's an idea of the height...
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two story family room dilemma...

Cove lighting and/or a chandelier would work out great in this situation.

If you're looking for a modern minimalistic look, I would say use cove lighting/ wall/ ceiling grazing lights

o

I forgot to include the photo of the slope of the ceiling (this is just above the fireplace mantle (which is going to be stained dark walnut to match the adjoining kitchen, which is just about to begin a revamp).
Photobucket

o
thanks davidtay

can you tell me where you suggest placement and how many you suggest? thanks!

o

Cove lighting is indirect lighting from light strips mounted at the upper edge of the walls shining onto the ceiling. I would think having the cove lighting along the entire length of the outside, fireplace and opposite walls would do great. You typically hide the strips with crown molding.

If you use LED, the strips will be thinner than T8 tubes. Consequently, the crown molding can be less beefy.

I would get rid of the recessed light.

The last option would be to put in an array of recessed lights. I won't recommend that as it would involve a significant amount of work and the lighting effects will depend on the installed lights.

Wall grazing lighting could be used on the tallest wall - the one the flat panel TV is mounted on.

http://ledneonlight.com/index.php?cPath=29&main_page=index

Here is a link that might be useful: Philips powercore cove lighting

o
powercore specs

http://www.colorkinetics.com/support/datasheets/eW_Cove_Powercore_4200K_SpecSheet.pdf

The other difference wrt fluorescent T8 cove lighting is that LED cove lighting is more easily dimmed.

The main work for cove lighting is building the crown molding which is easier and much less messier than making holes in the ceiling (especially a sloped ceiling).

o

thanks for your suggestions. i love the idea of cove lighting. however, i'm trying to visualize crown molding along only the fireplace wall - the other walls have funky angles that won't look good with molding. hmmm...

o

May I suggest that you post some photos on the Home Decorating forum and get some ideas about furniture placement? Certainly watching TV is important, but the room arrangement should also allow for people to talk to one another. And right now, the people sitting on the sofa would have difficulty seeing and talking with the person on the loveseat.

As for lighting, get some endtables and put lamps on them. Your torchiere is not bad, but a larger one might look better. I would have a table and a lamp on either side of the sofa, a lamp on a side table next to the loveseat, and a torchiere on the right side of the fireplace. What is that piece of furniture to the right of the TV?

o

You might get some ideas from the following web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: crown molding

o

How about a drop ceiling fan with a light?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here