Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisadlu

Pros and Cons of Recessed Lighting

lisadlu
13 years ago

I was all set to do (6) recessed lights in my kitchen but am now seriously thinking of going with flushmount's for better, even lighting. My kitchen with breakfast area is 20'x 11', with the kitchen itself 11x11. I was going to do (6) can lights in the kitchen area and keep my 300watt fixture in the breakfast area part but I am concerned I will get shadows & too much heat from the can lights. I'd like to hear your opinions, pro and con, on your recessed lighting. I need to make a decision this weekend because electrician is coming Monday armed with the can lights! :)

Comments (9)

• David
    13 years ago

Surface mounted lights will probably be cheaper than recessed lighting. Whether you get shadows and sufficient lighting depends a lot on the selected fixture(s) and placement.

With recessed lights there will not be a protrusion on the ceiling.

• jscout
    13 years ago

I think this all depends on the look you're trying to create. But generally speaking, the cons of cans :) aren't as bad as they used to be, if at all. I used to use high watt halogen bulbs in my cans. But they were just to hot. I have since switched to compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs and they are fantastic. I got the dimmable ones. Since the dimmable ones are a bit longer they extend a little farther, but not beyond the plane of the ceiling. As a result, these cans no longer have a spotlight effect and effectively cast light in all directions. I have also eliminated the heat issue. I tried two temperatures. The cool was way too white and bright. I ended up keeping the warm white which is a little whiter that incandescents but still warm. The brand of bulbs I chose was Neptun. I hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neptun CFL

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

I cannot imagine a flushmount in a kitchen.

I think you need a good variety of lighting in a kitchen. Cans are good for strong overall light and they have their purpose. They are not good for task lighting. For that you need good undercabinet mounted lighting. Over your table, you need a drop light or pendant to illuminate the eating space. No one type of light will give you what you need in a kitchen.

If I had to choose between my cans, ceiling fan with attached light, double pendant over my kitchen table, under cabinet lights and over cabinet lighting, hands down I would keep my cans. I cannot tell you how many times in cleaning, cooking, unpacking groceries, etc. I have turned on my cans before anything else.

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the responses! I did end up putting in six recessed lights. I'm not sure how they will light yet since we are removing the popcorn from the ceiling and have not installed bulbs yet. I've had several people tell me that if I don't like the bulbs to try the CFL or LED bulbs. We will see. My kitchen is small and filled with natural light, I will have LED undercab lighting, and a fixture over the kitchen table. Hope I like it! Thanks again!!

• cinnamonsworld
    13 years ago

I was reading today a little bit about how you can control the level of diffusion, glare, etc., with different types of recessed lighting - using the right baffle for instance, and one thing mentioned a lens light. I need to go research these terms more but I'd like to think that well-engineered lighting can be in a ceiling too ... maybe it doesn't happen so readily as with a not-in-the-ceiling type, but I hope with hard work I can find some that is good. And of course supplement w/other light.

• David
    13 years ago

The CREE LR6 is actually pretty good - not glaring. The first time I looked at it at LampsPlus, I was really surprised that there wasn't any glare when compared to other recessed CFL cans beside it.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

I would go with cans on two separate controls using dimmable CFL's and under-counter lighting for the work areas. The dimmable CFL's will give plenty of light but won't generate the heat of incandescent bulbs.

• w M.
    3 years ago

To piggyback on this, I have to choose lighting for a pitched ceiling walk in closet today. Recessed or surface mount in combination with one pendant? And with no windows, do you have a suggestion on wattage (2700 vs 3000)? Thanks in advance!