Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curved Vaulted Ceiling - Need Light Ideas

Posted by montel (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 14:08

OK I am getting some great help in my thread on LED lights, so I now have a new struggle...

We need some ideas for lighting our great room - it has a large curved ceiling with exposed curved beams. We will have spray foam insulation that will fill the entire cavity above the beams (rafters) - and it will be sheet rocked between the beams - we can't put in recessed lights, and may have trouble with some junction boxes - so we may have to direct wire (no boxes). The space is really open so there aren't a lot of wall areas to put sconces, cove lights, or other fixtures.

Photos below:

So far one idea is to put a led strip cove light along the flat beam at the bottom of the curve.

Another is to put up a mono rail type track light like the Kovacs GK P4078 which has 8 lights and the track is 20' long. We could curve it and suspend it from the beams...

Looking for other ideas! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curved Vaulted Ceiling - Need Light Ideas

Suspended lighting bar?

Cove lighting would be really nice though.

o

Pity you can't leave it - the rafters and beam looks great.

Look into the "wire" track lighting fixtures like this. You could run them inconspicuously perpendicular to the beams, or along the bottom or side edge.

http://www.csnstores.com/Bruck-Lighting-High-Line-Rony-Spot-Light-BBB1237.html

o

So far here is what we are thinking:

Use the Kovacs GK P4078 mono-rail track which has 8 lights and is 20ft long - Running it across the beams at some level.

Use 2 uplight sconces on the right and left walls at about 9ft high (left wall is in the pic above).

Some cove or spot lighting at the bottom of the beams highlighting the ceiling curve. I think that would do it. See below for sketch on photo...

o

How about cove lighting on the other side too for symmetry?

o

davidtay - That is an good idea - hadn't thought of it! Will look at it - of course costs go up again...

Was looking at the LED Strip Lights in roll form that are like $114 a reel (5 meter) is that the best option for cove lights like this do you think?

o

LED strip lights that come in a roll are typically low voltage DC.

Some may not be bright enough to provide sufficient indirect lighting. The more powerful strips will need to dissipate heat through the the PCB they're attached to. That in turn means that the PCB becomes less flexible and potentially more fragile.

In addition, you'll need extensive wiring, multiple power supplies and planning - to account for line current loss and voltage drop. All of which will need to meet electrical code.

If I were to do it, I'd go with the Philips Powercore lighting system which uses AC power instead and is probably more practical for large scale deployment in homes.

Here is a link that might be useful: PowerCore lighting

o
Use this link instead

Most current link included

Here is a link that might be useful: ewcovemxpc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here