Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone put heat lamps into bathrooms anymore?

Posted by cinnamonsworld (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 13:44

You know, the eerie red kind that go into the ceiling.

I don't want to do under-floor heating, but I always did like how fast the built-in red heat lamps warmed you up on a cold day.

What modern options are out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone put heat lamps into bathrooms anymore?

modern ?
it's seems modern lights often have high efficiency ,little heat will be released when shinning .
waitting solution!

o

Hmm... I can work with that info. :D ... thanks.

o

We installed a Panasonic WhisperWarm fan and love the heat. I preferred the predecessor Nutone Heat-A-Vent-Lite heater but the overall unit was junk.

In the middle of a cold night, when I take my normal potty break, the soothing warm air is nicer than a glaring heat lamp. I haven't seen one of those in a modern bath since the late 80's.

o

Haven't seen those heat lamps in places other than older hotels. If you are looking for something warm after a shower then consider a heated towel rack. Otherwise just open the furnaace vent a bit more.

o

I really like the effect of a heat lamp vs. a towel rack, underfloor heating or a heater fan... I'm going to look around and see if anyone is marketing things that are not circa-1980s in style and if I come up with anything I'll report back.

o

As far as I can tell, they're as popular as they've ever been - certainly, Broan/Nutone still sells a full line of them (in single or double configurations, the latter sometimes used with one heatlamp and one separately-switched white floodlamp). Lighting manufacturers also sell recessed lamp fixtures designed for the 250w infrared bulbs.

It's easy to understand why they're still in demand - they provide instant warmth, without blowing air (which in itself can feel chilly when you're still wet). Unlike hot-air blowers, they're silent (some of them, anyway). Plus, they look cool. This probably isn't the place to delve into how great infrared lamps serve as moodsetters whilst showering or bathing when all the other lights are off, but I'll do it anyway....

o

Does anyone put heat lamps into bathrooms anymore?
Yes. They are very nice.

o

Be careful.
There are no recessed lights, approved for insulated ceilings, that will take a 250 watt , or even a 150 watt heat lamp

o

Not true. The Broan 163 recessed fixture (to name one) accepts two 250w infrared heat lamps (for a strong 500 watts total), and can be installed in insulated ceilings. They also make a single-bulb 162 model that combines a recessed infrared heat lamp with a neatly-hidden 85cfm exhaust fan that can also be used for IC use.

The two heat lamps with hidden exhaust fans can turn on the fans by themselves briefly to cool themselves down, which helps make them suitable for IC use. The 163 has a small, quiet non-ducted fan that operates with the lights which keeps things cool enough for IC use. I've used these; the blower is quiet and doesn't blow air on the person below, just around the fixture housing to keep it cool.

Of course, there are lots of heat lamp fixtures for use in non-insulated ceilings, with is often all that's needed either because there's another level of the house above the bathroom, or by keeping attic insulation typically 3" away from the fixture.

As I mentioned earlier, the two-bulb 163 can be wired so the two bulbs are switched independently (often with one red heatlamp, one white heatlamp or general-use R40 or PAR38 floodlamp bulb) or together with two infrared bulbs. The versions with the exhaust fans can be wired so the fan operates with the light, separate from the light, or turns off by itself a set time after the lights are turned off.

o

Thanks for your replies - I'll go check these out. Darn, putting a monkey wrench into my Plan B for a toiletside hearth.

o

We put them in all our bathrooms. I had them in my old house and couldnt see not having heat lamps my boys even love them

o

We did a pre-wire construction walk with our electrical contractor today and my DH asked him to add a heat lamp to our master bath because he liked it so well in the old house. Electrician didn't miss a beat so some of us must still be requesting heat lamps.

o

My two in the bathroom never did much good. Couldn't seem to warm the room or knock the chill off and the reddish light just makes me nervous as it suggests fire to me, not something peaceful, so I don't like them. To each their own, I guess. I am planning on taking them out when I remodel and put in heated floors instead and possibly heated towel racks to dry the towels.

o

"Couldn't seem to warm the room or knock the chill off "

They are to heat YOU when you stand under them, not the room.

o

When we did our home renovations, we replaced the ceilings, including bathroom fans in both upstairs bathrooms, and removed the infra-red heat lamps. We installed in-floor heat under the ceramic tiles instead of replacing the heat lamps. The in-floor heating is on a timer so it is not inadvertently left on. We wondered at the time, but after being in the house for about a week, and it is -6C outside this morning, we are happy we did. I don't know how the cost will compare, but I don't think we have given up anything in comfort.

o

Am renovating a 1963 modern. Two of the bathrooms have round chrome globe-ish (they bulge from the ceiling somewhat) fixtures over the tub with three infrareds. Overkill in No. Ga, but I so love the Martian look. And they sure do warm the person.
They are one of the reasons the day I finally got internet access here I celebrated: "The Atomic Age meets the Cyber Age."
Tomorrow the tile arrives for the one bath I had to rip it out of, so soon I will be able to test them for real! (Am brushing my teeth in a tub right now.)
~Jodie

o

I still have the eery red light in my main bathroom. When we renovated the guest bathroom we found some heat lamps that just looked like regular big bulbs. Still heats, but without the weird sci-fi feeling mornings.

o

So I see four options for warm bathrooms, short of fireplaces and ductwork.
1. underfloor heating
2. fan blowing heated air (whisperwarm)
3. infra red heat lamp (broan) heats bodies
4. super towel warmer/radiator

I'm thinking the underfloor heating has better timers - so the bathroom is warm when you wake up, as long as it is morning and not a midnight trip. 2 and 3 are probably best for midnight trips. 2 would gather dust and dog hair in our house (must have an intake?). 3 would be hard to place if the bathroom isn't small, and may just warm the surface of your pajamas on a midnight trip. And somehow, 4 just seems gimmicky - How well can a radiator work with a towel hanging on it? I'm thinking underfloor heating will never need cleaning, no moving parts, and can be left on during cold snaps, but set on the timer for the rest of the winter. But all of this is from reading not experience - what do you guys think?

For ambiance, I would go for sterno gel. They are like candles on steroids, but without sparks, so much safer than burning wood. realflame.com has a bunch.

o

Ours heat lamps emit white light, not red. This was a last minute thought and so glad -- use it all the time. Makes the bathroom a comfortable place not just to shower and bathe, but also for undressing/dressing. Love this, love the heated floors and the heated towel rack.

o

We bought a 1960s "modern" type Ike-damaged home in Galveston. It is 1,000 feet from the beach at 57th, so there was no flooding from the gulf but the giant deluge from the bayside came across the island and 18 inches into the house. We have replaced EVERY thing, all plumbing, wiring, central a/c, doors, all cabinets, every thing. Except for the windows, closet poles and the UFO heating lamps. In bathrooms we replaced the center lighting, vanity lighting, vent & lighting, but decided to keep the heat lamps. Since we won't be using much in the way of heat normally (maybe Feb, March) they are just the thing for chilly morning showers. The building inspectors are happy with every step of work we have done and had no problem with approving them. I just wish I had them in my bathroom at the main residence 150 miles inland. That bathroom never warms up enough. Normally the only other places I see them are hotels that are getting a little long in the tooth.

o

i have a heat lamp in my new bath. interesting note when i went to buy another infrared bulb. the salesperson told me red is usually only used for chicken coops to hatch chickens. i always thought they had to be the red bulbs which don't give off much light just heat. so he sold me the infrared white bulbs which give off heat and light. FYI

o

I just had tiles put in my bathroom and they are cold!!! Does anyone know if a ceiling heating bulb would warm them up at an average ceiling to floor distance?

o

I saw such lamps before in a motel.

Check Habitat for Humanity ReStores. Once I saw an old lady donate such fixture you are talking about.

You could just use a standard flood light fixture like in the setup in the image I found on Google Images.

And I think a heat lamp should heat up your floor with enough time.

Here is a link that might be useful: bathroom-heat-lamp-fixture.jpeg

o

Just make sure it's rated for a 250 watt floodlamp bulb

o

I put heat lamps in every bathroom of my new house because I was looking forward to the warmth when my or the kids come out of the bath/shower. I put them right outside the bath/showers. But even though I put in a clear 250 watt heating bulb, when you stand under them, you don't feel any warmth. It's like they are not even there. What am I doing wrong. everyone else seems to love them, and I thought I would too, but they don't seem to work. I bought the Broan 164 2 light heater and ventilation fan. I have a 250 watt bulb in one (controlled by a timer) and a regular bulb in the other.

o

I put heat lamps in every bathroom of my new house because I was looking forward to the warmth when my or the kids come out of the bath/shower. I put them right outside the bath/showers. But even though I put in a clear 250 watt heating bulb, when you stand under them, you don't feel any warmth. It's like they are not even there. What am I doing wrong. everyone else seems to love them, and I thought I would too, but they don't seem to work. I bought the Broan 164 2 light heater and ventilation fan. I have a 250 watt bulb in one (controlled by a timer) and a regular bulb in the other.

o

I put combination heater/exhaust fans in 3 of my baths. They are on timers (5-10-15-30 minute push-buttons), so that the wife doesn't leave them on and run up the bill. Not quite as instant to feel as the heat lamps, but much more effective after the first minute. She wanted always heated floors, but had to settle for heaters on short timers and heated toilet seats.

o

About 1994, I wired a new house for my daughter and her husband. Per their request, the ceiling heat lamps are immediately in front of the showers. I found them quite effective when testing when the house was complete. But they say that they never use them. I do not know why.
I do have the combination fan-light-heater units in my house. I think it takes many more watts with these to feel warmth than with the heat lamps.
And we have the electric radiant in the floor under the tile in the bathrooms. It is on for just a couple of hours per day. Wife loves it!

o

Just ordered an infrared heat lamp for my new bathroom. Not the Broan one with a built-in exhaust fan (too noisy) or the Air King that's nicer looking but I've never used, but rather something like a Progress P6952-16TG that has a simple round bezel like a typical recessed floodlamp, and a separate quieter exhaust fan. Heat lamp will be positioned in the ceiling about a foot in front of the sink and mirror.

Should I put a timer switch on the heat lamp? And if so, a new-style electronic one with buttons for different time lengths, or the traditional mechanical timer knob? Many of those are irritatingly loud as they slowly turn towards off. Or I could just put it on a regular light switch.

o

I am bumping this thread.

Lee676, what did you get, in the way of switches? I have the Broan installed but no bulbs yet (I still have to tile the shower :) I had the electrician put in a timer, like one would have for an exhaust fan. I am hoping this will be the ticket. In our old bath we had a regular toggle switch to the heating lamp and sometimes it got left on. Though, usually it got turned off, because the room would just get too hot by the end of the shower, dressing, etc. Loved the infrared lamps in the old bathroom and DH insisted that we have one setup in the new bathroom. While I have been using the other bathroom, during the bathroom remodel, I miss the lamps a lot. Even with central heat and radiant floor heat, I miss the lamps when I get out of the tub. It just feels drafty and cool.

o

So far it's just on a regular switch, but the renovation isn't quite complete yet. I plan to change it to some sort of timer, but haven't decided on whether to use a mechanical twist knob or an silent electronic control (it will be one of the two, as I don't want a 250-watt lamp inadvertently left on). I really like the Pass & Seymour/Legrand Adorne switches which I'll be using in another bathroom without a heatlamp - they're the most elegant looking switchgear I've yet seen - but they don't seem to have a timer in that line.

The infrared heat lamp itself works great BTW - it's strategically placed in front of the sink and mirror, and gets toasty and warm underneath it, and immediately upon being switched on and without a draft. I wound up getting the Globe Electric 90057 fixture which was half the price of the Progress unit; it's a remodeler fixture rather than one designed for new construction, but it still can be used in new construction nonetheless.

o

Thanks Lee676, I looked up the Pass & Seymour/Legrand Adorne switches and they are beautiful, I see what you mean about elegant. Too late for me, I have all decor type switches. In my old fashioned bathroom I have a twisty timer. I thought it was in keeping with the look of the room. It is working very well and didn't much at all. In the second bathroom, which has a modern look, I went with an electric timer. What ever the electrician had on his truck.

I just got my 2 each 250 watt infrared bulbs in place. I bought the clear ones at the large local farm store in the chicken department :) They will do the trick when we step out of the shower. Dang, I still haven't got that shower tiled yet!

o

I'm about to install a heat lamp over my client's walk-in tub--the kind where you get in from the side and fill it up with hot water and bask. One very good reason to have radiant heat overhead: you have to drain the tub to get out (unless you're a monkey). And y'know what? It takes time for 45+ gallons to drain away. All that luxurious bathing gets you wet...and cold.

o

Sounds like a great solution to those types of tubs. I love my timer. Used it yesterday when I got my new zero degree marble counter installed. There was frost forming on the counter. Had to wait a bit for things to warm up, so I turned the infrared on with the timer. It remained on for the prescribed time. It even got reset a few times because that stone was COLD.

o

Just finished remodeling bath with terrific results. Only trouble is, my contractor talked me out of an iron tub. I'm a serious bath addict, but the bath loses heat quickly. Part of the reason is the very nice Utilitech exhaust fan is linked to the overhead lamp over the tub. I can't seem to find a combination heat lamp/ventilator that doesn't have a light built into it. Will I have to rewire?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here