Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kitchen lighting plan - advice please

Posted by detcastle (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 13:25

happy Monday everyone,
I feel like I'm completely winging my lighting plan for our kitchen reno and am glad to found this forum! Please let me know if you think this will be enough lighting? We have gutted the kitchen so we can add whatever is needed, but the breakfast nook has an existing arched ceiling so we just plan to replace the existing (ugly) light/fan. Our house is old (1929) and not airconditioned so we are thinking that two fans will actually be a good idea. Hoping that by opening the wall between the kitchen and nook will bring some light into the kitchen. ALso option in the future to change the exterior door to one with a bigger window. Need to talk with the electrician on Wed so would love what ever help you cuold provide. Feeling overwhelmed so would also love advice on what kinds of recessed lights and undercabinet would be best - would love to be greener than I am!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen lighting plan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kitchen lighting plan - advice please

My rule was to plan for 35 lumens per sq ft.

You can look at either fluorescent or LED lighting for being green. Do the calculation based on the requirements of local energy laws.

The cheapest would be to use bare t8 tubes.

For style and rascality, LED could be the better alternative.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here