Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which cans for EcoSmart 6' LED recessed downlight?

Posted by ONU_Rx (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 11 at 13:10

We are in the midst of a kitchen and lighting remodel. We are going to replace existing 5" cans with new 6" cans. We are also going to add additional new 6" cans due to a layout change of the kitchen. I wanted to transition all of these over to the EcoSmart E26 from HD(I am located in Ohio therefore don't require the GU26 style of the EcoSmart product, right?). I am trying to figure out which actual cans to purchase. I went to HD and the Commercial Electric remodel cans felt like JUNK. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which cans for EcoSmart 6' LED recessed downlight?

The Halo 6" cans would work well. Alternatively, you could get the Cree cans.

You might want to check with your county on what ordinances govern energy consumption.

The Cree version of the CR6 is about the same price now. Polar-ray.com could be an option.

o

The Cree cans are the best, but also the most expensive. The Elite are the cheapest I would use, but also hold the ceiling pretty well for a remodel can if you are going that way. If you are going with a new construction can, any decent can will work, elite, elco, halo, cree, and so on. If you want quality, go Cree, if you want something at depot, go halo. If it's remodel, go elite.

o

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to replace our current 6-inch incandescents with LEDs as well, and I need to purchase a number of 6-inch remodel cans/housings. I intend to use the Home Depot "EcoSmart" lights as well (which, I understand, is essentially the same as the Cree CR6).

I'm really amazed at the price differences between the various remodel housings out there... there are the basic models available from Home Depot (ie: Halo), at about Cdn$16.00, but I'm also seeing a lot of similar products online for well over $50.00.

I guess I'm wondering, why the big difference?

Also, I have holes already cut in my ceiling for my existing lights, which are about 6.5" in diameter. Generally speaking, will most 6" remodel housings still work?

Thanks!

o

Do you mean retrofit housings? If so, these housings clip onto the ceiling board. If the hole is too big, they will not work.

o

"6 inch" refers to the diameter of the housing/can, not the trim that you'll see after it's installed. The intergral trim on a CR6 is 7 3/8" diameter and will cover up 6" or 6 1/2" holes. (For some reason, I've seen lots of "6 inch" recessed cans that are really 6 1/2").

o

Thanks -- I figured that that I'd probably be okay with the 6.5" holes, though obviously before I commit to something I'll have to ensure that they'll work for me.

More than anything, though, I'm curious about what makes a "quality" retrofit/remodel housing, considering the wide range of prices.

Here are some examples:

I'd likely considering something 'cheap', like this, at Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/6-in-i-c-remodel-housing/913659

Compared to others like these:
http://www.canadalightingexperts.com/lighting/11-314-472-0-190925/Sea-Gull-Lighting_Remodel-Non-IC-Housing-11017.htm (mid-priced)
http://www.canadalightingexperts.com/lighting/11-314-472-0-241530/Thomas-Lighting_6--Recessed-Housing-PS9-RM.htm
http://www.canadalightingexperts.com/lighting/11-314-472-0-220274/Thomas-Lighting_6--Asic-Remodel-Recessed-Light-PS1-RM.htm
http://www.canadalightingexperts.com/lighting/11-314-472-0-166926/WAC-Lighting_6-inch-CFL-Shallow-Remodel-Non-IC-Air-Tight-R-F608D-R-A.htm (airtight?)

Any comments?

Thanks again!

~Geoff

o

It would be better to get the full size can which is IC rated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here