Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Living Room Recessed Lighting

Posted by simbany1 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 12:34

Great forum and lots of great info. I need some help though. I'm doing a major remodel and needed advice on recessed lighting in a 11'x15' living room. I was initially going to go with 4 - 6" halo lights, but then my electrician suggested going with low voltage lights. I looked at some 3" and 4" low voltage lights and liked the contemporary look to them, but concerned about the light output.

We were previously using a halogen floor lamp that shot the light to the ceiling and lit up the room very nicely. I'm trying to make sure that we get get similar lighting with the recessed lights. My thinking is that 4 - 6" high hats would do well in the room. Would I get similar light output from 6 - 3" or 4" low voltage high hats?

I really like the look of the smaller lights, but don't want to sacrifice light output. Everywhere I read they say the 3" lights are for accent and focus lighting, but can they be used for general if I have enough of them?

Thank you for the help in advance!!

Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Living Room Recessed Lighting

You may need a lot of mr16 lights. Alternatively have you looked at Cree lr4 lights?

o

When you say a lot, how many is that? I just took a look at the Cree lr4 and they are pretty pricey.

I'm thinking of going with 4" cans and using the same number and placement as I was planning with the 6" ones. The par20 halogen bulbs should provide adequate lighting. I'm just worried about the heat. With the ceiling height of 8.5', heat should be that big of an issue.

o

MR16 lights are typically used in 3" cans. MR16 lights have a limited illumination angle and light output and therefore are typically not used for general lighting. IC rated 3" housing could also be pricey too.

3 MR16 lights + cans costs > 1 LR4 + can. Output light will be less than a single LR4.

The smaller the aperture (hole), the can costs increase.

o

Thanks again for the response. I decided to go with Halo 4" cans and r20 philips halogena bulbs. They seem to get great reviews on all the sites I go to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here