Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Multiple Switches: Off the same direction or no?

Posted by lynda_baker (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 12:26

Ok, sorry, I wasn't sure how to explain this. We are in the end stages of our kitchen renovation. In two places, there is a plate with three switches on it. I'm trying to figure out if what the contractor did is considered typical and if so, why?

On each plate, one of the switches is the opposite of the others. In other words, if all the lights are off, two of the switches are down and one is up. I think this is going to drive me up the wall -- why would they not all be "down" if the lights are off?

Before I make the contractor redo it, I thought I'd see if there was some reason for this that I cannot understand.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Multiple Switches: Off the same direction or no?

If any of the switches are 3 way,which means you can turn the light on from 2 placest,then your switches may never line up.
That's the function of a 3 way switch

o

Or... the electrician just installed the switch upside down. :)

o

You're right, it is a 3-way switch! Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here