Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmg67_gw

Kitchen Track/Monorail Lighting

kmg67
9 years ago

We've almost completed out kitchen reno but are still struggling with the ceiling lighting. We've got a basic design sketched out. As you can see in the pic of our not fully completed project, there is currently a ceiling fan which we will be removing and are looking to use that junction box to hang some sort of track or monorail system. Kitchen is about 13' X 12' with a 54" X 39" island. Leaning towards a low voltage monorail since we have vaulted ceilings and most of these systems can be suspended with airplane standoffs rather than the rigid rod systems used in the track systems. I feel we can get a better fit with the cables. So we want a system that contains 2 pendants over the island and another 8 spots to light the rest of the kitchen. We're looking at using either an "I" or "U" shaped pattern. We need about an 8' length that runs along the section with the cooktop then need to go back about 4' and have another 5' section run parallel to the 8' section and will contain the two pendants over the island. We went to a local lighting shop to get a quote and was really surprised at the cost. They scoped out a Tech Lighting Monorail system that seems to meet our needs and it came in at just over $3300. I can probably get that reduced a bit as we maybe able to get away with 6 spots as well as a few less standoffs. Their prices are lower than anything I've seen online so its not like they were gouging us.
I looked online at WAC's Solorail system as well. I scoped out a similar system from one of the online retailers and that comes in $2200. The lighting shop we used also sells this brand so it is likely they can offer it for a little less.

Would the WAC system be a better value? Are both of these brands reliable? Any other options I should be investigating?
Appreciate the help! I've got a ton of excellent information from this sight over the last several months.

Comments (4)