Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to choose size - schoolhouse lights

Posted by nineteenoeight (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 11:29

Hi, I am stressing out about the size of our kitchen ceiling lights - I've settled on schoolhouse lights, either semi-flush mount or short pendant.
Is there a formula to figure out size of light?
The ceiling is just under 9ft high.
The kitchen is L-shaped - one leg is 11'x 13', the other is 13' by 7'. There will be three ceiling lights altogether. There are two stained glass minipendants over the peninsula and one over the sink. There are cans also for when I want to work, over the counters.

I'm looking at 9" diameter lights vs 12" diameter lights - perhaps one 12" in the wider leg, two 9" in the narrower - or maybe all three 9"?

And maybe stick with semi-flush not to compete with pendants?

Arg! There's a 25% restock fee if I choose wrong. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to choose size - schoolhouse lights

I'm not good with the more technical side of lighting, but I agree with your hesitation about getting more pendants. I think semi-flush schoolhouse lights would be better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here