Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lighting ideas for suspended ceiling

Posted by barneyrubble (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 07 at 11:23

I'm in the process of freshening up a small basement apartment. Currently, the only fixed lighting in the living room is a flourescent panel that takes the place of one of the 2'X4' suspended ceiling panels. I'm not a fan of this type of lighting or the appearance, which seems very institutional. Can anyone suggest fixtures that provide a warmer, more subdued feel? Pictures of what you are happy with would be great, too. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lighting ideas for suspended ceiling

You can use anything you want. Fixture boxes can be suspended by a bar that crosses the Tbar grid plus wires that transfer weight to the actual supporting ceiling above.

o

Thanks for the info, but what I'd like to know are some of the more pleasing options for lighting fixtures and their placement. The typical ceilings I've seen use fixtures that normally appear on a smooth surface. I think they look busy when used with a grid system. Has anyone used small, low wattage can lights along the perimter of a basement room?

o

You can also use track lighting. They make a piece that goes on the grid of the ceiling to hold the track. From their you can use small track heads. This is just another option.

o

We used flourescent cans, track lights and wall washer lights in our basement playroom.

o

You could go with a nicer version of what you have right now..... Most manufacturer's make a 'basket fixture' which is something of an indirect type of light....
http://www.daybrite.com/brochures/137.pdf

or better yet, try one of the latest generation of recessed lighting, which is much nicer aesthetically than the fixture you are using now, and very energy efficient. Check out the recessed option here.
http://www.ledalite.com/download/pdf/Voice.pdf

These are typically commercial products, but since you already have a t-bar ceiling, it would seem to make sense. One of these might run you more than a recessed can, but provide the light output of many cans, and without the glare....

o

We use track and the lights that are on the ceiling fan. Hate the ceiling fan lights and only use them when I need real bright light. Otherwise we use table lamp 99.5% of the time.

o

Bumping this.

I am looking for something like the Ledalights linked above. I can't find an on-line source for these or similar. I'd like to know what they cost.

I feel like my basement suspended ceiling is already low enough....I don't want to even add clouds with a 6" profile. Maybe I should just get over that?

o

Wall sconces with up light and out light can provide nice ambiant light. Then focus on task lighting where you need it such as pendants over a bar or table and accent lights like track for focal points on the wall. The rest of the room will take care of itself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here