Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Recessed Lighting in Kitchen!!!

Posted by TopazAl (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 11:08

Hi. I'm doing kitchen renovation and need help on lighting redesign and recessed lighting placement in the kitchen. My kitchen is roughly 10'8" x 12' 3" in size with 8' ceiling height. I will have access to the attic above the kitchen.

I'm planning to put in recessed lighting. Right now I'm leaning toward 4" LED recessed lighting.I found Lowes has Utilitech Pro 4" Integrated LED lighting kit for $49 a piece. It is IC-rated with 630 lumen, 3000K, 80 CRI.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=3745683&partNumber=403328-47842-18290-000&storeId=10151&N=0

Now in terms of placement, I read through many guides online. First I need to take care of task lighting first. I plan to put 1 can above the kitchen sink. I will also install undercabinet lighing under all wall cabinet using LED strip light (3100K). Note that I have a chimney hood over range.

Questions:
1) Now how I should place the rest of the cans?
2) Since I already have undercabinet lighting, should I still put can 24"-27" off the wall with cabinet aim at the edge of the countertop (to avoid shadow)? OR I should just put lighting just space it out evenly in the general area?
3) I'm thinking 4 cans + 1 can above sink enough to light up the kitchen (considering each of those 4" can give out 630 lumen each)? Is that enough?
4) If I put 1 can lined up with the center of the cabinet for each of the wall cabinet beside the range. Will they be too far apart? I don't think I need to put a light in front of the range. Or I should just put lighting evenly space out without considering the cabinets location.

Any help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Recessed Lighting in Kitchen!!!

hi,according to ur drawing,i suggest don't use the Utilitech recessed LED spot light.bcoz the beam angle for those kinds of LED spot light is small,normally this kind of spot light is commercial.
i am not sure if ur ceiling is integrated ceiling or not.if yes.i think u can order the attached square LED downlight.it is also recessed type.the beam angle is approx 120 degree.u just need 1 pcs of this kind of LED down light for ur kitchen.

o
RE: Help with Recessed Lighting in Kitchen!!!

There's quite a bit of info on the LED recessed lighting discussion that deals with the spacing, location.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lighting/msg010127153310.html?150

Here is a link that might be useful: follow on thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here