Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Living room in need of light!

Posted by booper717 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 10:39

Hello All!

My husband & I are having a hard time figureing out what to do to add more light in my living room. It's a narrow room 9'10" x 21". With it being so narrow once we get the sectional couch in there we will only have room for one end table. Being an older home there are no lights in the ceiling or anywhere else in the room & only one window. Previously we had two lamps, but now there will only be space for one. Even two wasn't near enough light for in the evening. So my question is are there any quick, easy, and inexpensive solutions for adding more light to the room that dosn't need table or floor space that I'm over looking? We thought about adding some track lighting, but that would involve running the electic threw the celing & I don't know how in depth that can be. But idealy light on the celing would be best.

Any ideas are appricated, we're really stumped here!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Living room in need of light!

Have you thought about a floor up-light? I have a small up-light lamp, sitting atop an empty vase, in a corner behind a chair of my long narrow (11 x 19) living room. It shines a pretty light upward toward the ceiling. There are various standing up-lights as well. Good luck.

o

Low voltage cable lighting could be one option to provide more light.

Another option would be flat wire low voltage lighting.

Recessed lighting pots or surface mounted fixtures could be installed. Both will require line voltage (120v AC) wiring to be installed.

Here is a link that might be useful: flatwire lighting

o

A few here (or many) will no doubt roll their eyes and say "That's so seventies," and they'll be right of course - but how about a swag lamp or two? Fix hooks in the ceiling, hang the lamps, drop the chains down the walls, and plug them into wall receptacles. Quick and dirty - and a brighter room with no wiring hassles.

Some of those lighting ideas 30+ years ago were practical ones. :) And today swags might even be better - now we have wireless switches to control them.

I was going to say you might have to look for one on Ebay, but darned if they aren't still being offered, though I can't say I'm too keen on most of what's available. See below. (Note that this is not an endorsement. I have no interest in the company linked, I just found them with a quick web search.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Swag Lights

o

Also consider ceiling mounted spots that use dimmable CFL's.

o

Just recently found out about this new product coming to the market - light emitting wallpaper! It's pretty cool, they say it will replace light bulbs by 2012! It is not available for sale yet, but I just felt like I have to share that information!

Here is a link that might be useful: Light Emitting Wallpaper

o
Tubular skylights

Look for tutbular skylights, like Solartube (http://www.solatube.com/residential/what-is-daylighting/index.php), NAtural Light (http://www.nltubular.com/), Sun Dome (http://www.sun-dome.com/), etc. These look like a perfect solution for your living room. No electrical wiring involved!

o

"Look for tutbular skylights, like Solartube These look like a perfect solution for your living room. No electrical wiring involved!"

Hmmm...now how would those substitute for lamps on cloudy days and after 6:00PM?

o

you need not just lights ,but warm ,and sunshine which can shine into your heart
so my suggest:
pet ,dog ,cat and other ;
glassess which can make your room seems bigger
led lights bulbs .which can shine neaturally ,replace sunshine better!

Here is a link that might be useful: here can get better and cheapper led bulbs

o

Thank you all for your ideas! I'm def. going to look into a few of them! I apprieciate the responses!

o

maybe make the room more simple and elegant is better ,and led lights and mirror will help you .
led lights should be low powe leds and large number,and you'd better choose warm white.
about lights ,you can get at net

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here