Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
led ucl that are priced well. lowes?

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 10:10

Hello,
Electrician is coming tomorrow to discuss lighting for our kitchen/dining room renovation.

He put halogens in the estimate for the GC but from what I'm reading I'd like to do LED lighting that is dimmable. I don't want to get too crazy if that's possible with high priced items.

So, can you recommend a good product that isn't overly expensive? I read somewhere Lowes has a product now. Is it any good?

I wrote down a few brands when reading through various lighting discussions here but have no idea about pricing:

*Philips eW Profile Powercore
*Enrivonmental Lights
*Sea Gull Linear Dimmable

Thoughts on these or other brands that might be better???

Thanks so much! I have been researching so many things for this kitchen and lighting seems so hard to understand. Every time I start reading I get lost.
I would LOVE to just be steered in the right direction : )

2LittleFishies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: led ucl that are priced well. lowes?

Start off with the following thread.

The cost of the bars/ tape/ ... is just one component.

You don't want to attempt cutting holes in your cabinets or backsplash to fit the UCL components after they have been done. The cost of those actions imo outweigh the up front price of the bars, interconnects, power supply, ...

Here is a link that might be useful: LED UCL continuation

o

Thanks! I met electrician today and went to lighting store near me.

He is pricing the Seagull LED.

They showed me 2700 and 3000 although the 2700 was actually halogen but they said it would be the same temperature. I preferred the warmth of the 2700 but the salesman said 3000 is better for task lighting in kitchen.
Thoughts?

He also said you can do 2700 in the glass uppers and do 3000 for task UCL but to me that wouldn't seem to work well together.

If we do LED in the recessed lights should that temperature match as well?

We are doing light yellow lower cabs with creamy white upper cabs and am trying to see what will work best. White marble countertops

IMG_1017, Barley

Thanks for any suggestions!

o

Some LED strips produce more light at a higher color temp.

I think it is a design decision whether to use different color temperatures for different lighting sources. I chose to use ~ 3500k for the UCL and 2700 for the recessed cans.

If you use the Cree CR6/ CR4 recessed lights, the color temp will match if you choose 2700k.

You probably would get better bang for the dollar with alternatives to Seagull.

o

Our first electrician was a no show. We used him on something else a couple of yrs ago so we requested using him for our reno b/c he was less $ than the GCs guy. Well, after a week of him not calling us or the GC back we are going with the gc's guy. However, we have to start work tomorrow so we don't have much time for decision making. The lighting store many use around us has Seagull and there didn't seem to be other options. It's unfortunate we don't have the luxury of shopping around but our guy already slowed us down by a week (by not responding) and we need to move forward on electric.

So, if you chose 3500K for the UCL, I guess the 3000 can't be too bad. I was afraid it wasn't warm enough but it's hard to tell in a lighting store with so much going on around you! ughhh.

o

So long as the wiring is in place and positioned correctly, the lights themselves can be installed / changed at a later time.
You can do a quick comparison over the internet
http://ledneonlight.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11_60_64
(for the eW profile)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here