Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
electric or motorized shades and drapes?

Posted by dandylandy (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 8:44

Hi, I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

I searched the message board and found an old thread from 2007 about lighting control that mentioned Crestron, Lutron, Vantage and other fancy systems.

However, all I am looking for is a remote control to point at my bedroom drapes and blackout shades in the morning so they can open while I'm still lying in bed.

It would be much appreciated if someone could point me in the direction of a company that can do this and not charge an arm and a leg.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: electric or motorized shades and drapes?

You probably would have to buy motorized rods for the draperies. I know that Hunter Douglas makes motorized shades but I am not aware of a system to retrofit existing shades. I have included a link to one manufacturer for motorized drapery rods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Automated Shades

o
RE: electric or motorized shades and drapes? cont

BTW, Lutron provides lighting solutions. They work with other devices. For example, in our home theater, we are going to use a motorized rod system for our stage that connects to a contact closure device which then communicates to our Lutron system (that controls all the lighting in the room). That is a rather expensive way to do what you want so I would stick with a system where you talk directly to the rods.

o

Lutron makes roller shades, roman woven woods, roman fabric and drapes. Different versions can talk directly to Radio RA2 or Homeworks as well as to the new Grafik Eye.

o

We have the Grafik Eye system in our home theater and it's absolutely amazing!

o

You might be able to keep your existing drapes, but you'll definitely have to replace the curtain track with an electrical one to function with the remote control. Hunter Douglas and Lutron do offer good motorized shade products as mentioned. Somfy is another good one to look at for home automation. The best bet to find an inexpensive deal is shop through your local home integrators or window treatment installers, which might be willing to negotiate more. Where do you live? I've placed a link to the place I know in New York, but they don't list a lot of details about motorization on their site, you have to visit the showroom

Here is a link that might be useful: Motorized Shades

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here