Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Kitchen Lighting help

Posted by sc204 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 8:20

I came across this site while searching for kitchen lighting info and have already read a lot of useful information. I need help with lighting for a kitchen remodel. Specifically the location of the recessed cans.
Hopefully a top view of the plans are attached. The basic kitchen is about 15 feet from wall to edge of sliding glass door and 18 feet wall to wall from sink wall to back wall. A general description of what is there and known lighting: To the left of the island and in front of the slider is a the kitchen table with a hanging light overhead. Over the island we plan on 2 pendant type lights. Over the sink I have 2 4" cans. On the sink side the first wall cabinet on the left goes down to the counter top and extends out further than the regular wall cabinets.
The cook top on the right wall will have a hood with several halogen lights built in.

The back wall in the main kitchen area consits of 2 floor to ceiling pantries and the fridge and double oven.
To the left of these on the plan is a countertop and standard wall cabinets which wrap around the outside corner.
to the left of that is a 60" bar like area with base and wall cabinets. In between the bar and outside corner area of cabinets is the entrance to my dining room.

Known lighting: Kitchen table, 2 pendants over island, 2 4" cans over the sink about 16" off the wall, under cabinet lighting (planning on LED strips) and a few in cabinet lights on a couple of glass door cabinets.

I have a 42" walkway between the island and main part of the kitchen.

So I can really use some help with the rest of the recessed lighting. I am especially confused about the wall with the outside corner cabinets and floor to ceiling cabinets.

As far as lights I plan to use LED fixtures with integral trim rings that go into regular cans. either Halo 3000K or 2700 Cree (from Home Depot)

Thanks in advance for any help,
Stuart

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Kitchen Lighting help

I didnt see the image so here it is again.

o

Use the Cree lights. The following link has more info

Here is a link that might be useful: LED recessed lighting

o

The 2700K Cree lights, to me, seem just a touch whiter than an incandescent flood light. Another one you might consider is the Sylvania light (Lowes, $50), which at 3000K looks quite a bit whiter, without getting too blinding or blue at all. I installed one of each to see how I liked them, along with 10 existing incandescents.

In my case (GU24 connectors to meet CA Title 24) the difference in price added up quite a bit (Sylvania needs an extra adapter), and I ended up going with the CR6/Ecosmart version.

I also didn't want an obvious light color change as I went from kitchen to living space to entry, and some of that will still have incandescent.

Both the Sylvania and Cree/Ecosmart come in 4" and 6" versions. The Sylvania comes in 3000k at Lowes, and also in 2700k on-line -- but I don't see any reason at all to get the Sylvania over the Cree if you are going with 2700k -- Sylvania costs more, and has a small (half-second or less) delay when turning on. Both products dim well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sylvania 6

o

Thanks I did see the LED link. I did buy 2 of each 2700 Cree and 3000 Halo. They both seem to work in 5 or 6" cans. The Halo seem a little bighter and whiter.

Any reccomendations for placement would be appreciated.

Stuart

o

Generic recommendations about placement are largely in the LED recessed lighting link. For the upper cabinets, I would personally place the lights ~ 1 ft away from the crown molding.

Specific recommendations are difficult to make as there might be on-site obstructions that may need to be taken care of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here