Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations for lighting a large wall mounted world map

Posted by oldbat2be (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 7:29

We would like to light a world wall map, which is approximately 10 feet wide by 8 feet tall. Ceilings are 8' as well. The map surface is laminated.

I found an old reference to a Lightolier wall wash 1135 being an excellent product:

"Lightolier makes the best wall wash fixture with a 150A lamp. This is for non IC applications. 1135 Trim and 1102P1 Housing It can use a 100 or 150 A or 90 BR. This is a wall waher that really works."

When I searched for the item, I only found a few links which makes me concerned that it may no longer be regularly offer for sale / supported.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations for lighting a large wall mounted world map

How about using the Philips eW Cove EC Powercore? It can be used for either wall washing or cove lighting. In addition, it is dimmable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cove Powercore

o

Thanks David, that looks very interesting. For the size I'm looking at (10' wide, lit from a height of 8'), how many of the units would you recommend, and at what spacing?

o

I would try to uniformly illuminate the entire wall.

o

That sounds lovely, actually. Thanks, I will contact Phillips next week to discuss how many units are required for this.

o

Since each unit is 1 ft in length, if the wall is 10.5 ft, you can use 10 units. If the wall is slightly under 10 ft, 9 units.

You will also need to figure out how to hide the lighting and tie in with the look of the rest of the room.
1. Find out where the ceiling beams are and whether they are parallel or perpendicular to the wall on which the map hangs.
2. Figure out how to construct the channel.

o

David,

Ceiling beams are perpendicular to the wall on which the map hangs. Walls are open to the studs, currently. We can easily add a nailer prior to drywall going up.

With respect to the channel, would this be some sort of trim work, attached to the ceiling, to hide the unit from the rest of the room? (Anywhere I can go look for inspiration?)

Thank you so much for your help with this. I'm really excited about how this will turn out! Here is current picture; I will try to remember to post a 'finished' picture once lighting and map are in place.

Here is the wall; loop of cable hanging will be what provides power to wall wash lights.

From Drop Box

o
RE: correction

Umm, make that parallel to the wall (sigh...nailers, joists, what's the difference?!!)

o

There are 2 options that come to mind.
Option 1 - light strip mounted in a channel, facing down. The light bars will be visible.

Option 2 - Construct a channel with a bottom lip and mount the light bars on the side, above the lip so that people cannot see the light bars.

Nb - drawings are just conceptual.
wallwash plan

Top view. The nailers will need to be trimmed off and an appropriately sized channel constructed. Make a box?

wallwash top plan

As for some inspiration

Here is a link that might be useful: Some inspiration

o

Thanks!!!!! I like the option 2 and LOVE the inspiration pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here