Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Island Lighting- Please!!

Posted by jean61 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 6:12

What is the rule of thumb for pendants? How far do you place them from the seating area of the island? What distance apart? Our Island is Very Large-- crazy large in my opinion....wanted two...but ending up with one.

So it's going to be like 94 x 83. Counter height with overhang for seating on the 94" side.

I wanted only two Large pendants/foyer type lights.

But what should the placement be? How far from edge of counter top...when seating is involved? the sink is on opposite side of seating. One can light there. Then there will be can lights inbetween the island and the wall cabinets. So I need to know place of pendants and if I have enough lighting. Electrian comes tomorrow morning. My meeting with Lighting people isn't until later in week.

What do I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Island Lighting- Please!!

It's not clear from your post whether your primary objective is for the fixture(s) to be decoration/ornamental or effective task lighting. Too many unknown factors to name - what type and how many bulbs/watts/ in fixtures, ceiling height, room size, other ambient light, windows location, what tasks on the island are you lighting, other items located on island (range, sinks), etc. etc.

Wouldn't it be better to meet with your "lighting people" BEFORE the electrician comes?

o
RE: Help with Island Lighting- Please!!

Cans for Task lighting. Pendants for Island lighting and decorative. I will attach picture of layout...however we eliminated the 4 cans on the island..and went with one in the center of the pendants and one over the sink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here