Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maysf

Need Help on planning kitchen lights

maysf
10 years ago

I need you guys' help with the lighting design for my kitchen+dinning combo room .
My new kitchen will be 9' ceiling flat (not vaulted), about 15'x16'. My architect has 9 recessed lights, 3 pendants over 4.5x8' island, and under cabinets lights.
If use 4" recessed can light ecosmart brand, I need about 14 lights based on the 35 lumens per sq ft rule posted on this site. I will need 2 rows between the stove range and island (right now it is 1 row). I was told by a sale person at a local lighting store that ecostar cyber tech 5" gives 800 lumen; DMF (dme11-8-30-qc, 5" 6" 1100lm 3000k - this is on the estimate sheet. Not sure exact what it is) 5" gives 1000 lumens. If I use these brands, 9 recessed lights on the design which is 1 row of recessed lights between range and island is enough. Any opinions of pros and cons between home depot brand and other brands. Am I calculate this right for the amount of the light I need? How much will the 4" Home Depot brand (light, and can together. Links to the hd website for the light and can would be nice)? I think 6" and 4" give out about same lumens, 625 vs 575 lumens. Which option is cheaper (hd brand 4" or the other brand 5")? Which one looks better (4" with 6 more holes on the ceiling or 5" )?
There isn't recessed lights over the sink, desk(bottom, a skylite above it) or the area leading to the private hallway. Should I add 3 recessed lights on each of this area?
my dinning area next to the kitchen will be 9', with 6" coffered ceiling 9x16, a chandelier, 2 scorn lights. Lighting store sale person recommend tap LED light on top of the molding of the coffered ceiling over the dinning table. I like the look, but it is expensive $400 total for the surrounding. Anywhere I can find these cheaper? How do i buy them, how many parts, etc?
I also need switch recommendations: I think I need 4 way switch for the kitchen lights: 1 near family room (to the top), 1 near main hallway(bottom right corner), 1 near private hallway(top right corner). Any suggestions?
thank you so much in advance! this is a wonderful website with many great helpful experts here.

Comments (5)