Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this light too high?

Posted by tweekercat (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 1:00

This light had to be moved because for some reason the wiring wasn't placed in the centre of the island. The ceiling is 17 feet high and from the bottom of the light to the floor is 86 inches. I have read that you measure 30-36 inches from the surface to the bottom of the light. So that would be 72 inches from the floor to the light, but I have read that even with island lights you can add 3"s to every foot of ceiling over 8'. My husband would probably freak if I asked him to add on another extension and rewire it and according to design rules, the height is acceptable. But I would like another opinion. The island is 8' long and each lamp is 1 foot long.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this light too high?

If you don't get a response here, try posting this in the Kitchens forum.

o

In the event that having additional length is impractical, you can compensate by using higher light output bulbs.

o

They do put out a lot of light. They light up the whole island really well because they are such large lamps. But they just seem to look too high.

o

Yes.It's not good.Somewhere can't be light.

Here is a link that might be useful: you can use this LED

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here