Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turtlemeng

Difference between Big Box/Home Depot and more $$?

turtlemeng
13 years ago

I am looking at the under cabinet Xenon puck lights. I know at Home Depot they are like 6 for $40, but online (looked @ Seagull) it was like more than 3 times as much, can anyone tell me what the main difference is? Thank you thank you thank you.

Comments (2)

• DavidR
    13 years ago

There are certainly some good values to be found in the big box stores, but on the whole they cater to customers whose primary selection criterion is price rather than quality. That's a polite way of saying that some stuff is good, but they sell a fair bit of cheap, short-lived junk.

OTOH a high price doesn't guarantee commensurate quality.

Rule of thumb: you don't always get what you pay for, but you very seldom get what you don't pay for. Caveat emptor.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

I've only seen a few Seagull lighting pendant and chandelier fixtures, but I was underwhelmed by the quality. For non-decorative under-counter lights I would go with one of the name brands sold by Home Depot.

In a re-model of the kitchen and bathrooms we bought all of the non-decorative lighting from Home Depot. That included recessed spots, under counter lights and waterproof shower spots. It works flawlessly.