Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsasupra_gw

Adding schoolhouse lights in kitchen...

rsasupra
13 years ago

I am considering adding something like these (or something similar) over the breakfast bar or whatever you call it, to add a little bit of period style to the kitchen. I'm not sure if they will work with the modern appliances and the big hood. I'm also not sure if I do add them, if I should remove the line of can lights that would be between them or leave them as they are.

With all of the can lights and then ceiling speakers in the kitchen and adjacent family room, I don't want to make things to busy. I've already got to figure out a good way to deal with the glossy housings the previous owners installed when they added the can lights.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Ryan

ps: I can't wait to tear that tile out too.

Comments (6)

• shoelvr
    13 years ago

Love the schoolhouse light link..I've been eyeing lights there too!

I think you could get away with it..just wouldn't do anything with nickel or light metals. The finish you picked would go with the other colors in the kitchen.

• rsasupra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. Thoughts on whether or not to leave the can lights that would be adjacent?

• rsasupra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone else?

Thanks!

• DavidR
    13 years ago

I'm more qualified to comment on the quality of light these fixtures are likely to provide than on the style - and I think you'll find them an improvement. You should get fewer hard shadows and an overall better quality of light than you get from recessed fixtures.

Style isn't much my forte so I leave that for others. Shoelvr's advice sounds good to me. The only thing I might add is to be careful about fixture height (length of the downrod). Too low, and they may dominate the decor more than you want. But again, I'm not an expert on style.

If it were my kitchen I'd be inclined to remove the recessed lights near where the new lights will be located. I can't see why you'd need them. If nothing else, that will leave you with fewer holes in the ceiling - places for heat to leak out in the winter.

• rsasupra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I lost this thread, but am now actually now getting down to decision time. I found out that 2 little covers over the breakfast bar that I thought might be sprinklers are actually covers over 2 spots pre-wired for lights. So I think I am going to put some pendants there to start.

The other idea I've been toying with is to replace some or all of the can lights with surface lights in both the kitchen and adjoining living room. I think it will make for too much going on though.

I was thinking of something like these for over the bar. click here

But if I did use these ceiling mounted lights in place of the cans elsewhere, then I might go with a smaller pendant like these but with an opaque cover.

And I kind of like something like this over the sinks.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks again!

• rsasupra
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PS: Here is the adjoining family room with all of the cans and speakers.

{{!gwi}}
    living room

I would consider doing the ceiling mounted lights here as well, but I think it will be majorly too busy with everything. I think I'll start by replacing the can housings with a matte white instead of the gloss after I repaint.