Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cree CR6 in 10' ceiling

Posted by yokatta (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 3, 11 at 23:02

I want to install these in my new house, but I have 9' and 10' ceilings and have been told they don't supply enough light. Let me know if you have tried it and how it works. I want the CR6 because of price and 5% dimmable feature.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cree CR6 in 10' ceiling

That is not true, though I understand how one can arrive at that conclusion.
1. A standard A lamp has ~ 800+ lumens output.
2. Placing an A-lamp in a recessed can meant for reflector lamps results in a significant amount of light trapped within the can.
3. Recessed cans with reflector lamps produce a spot light effect.

A CR6 has a rated output of 575 lumens which on paper is less than 800+ lumens (A-lamp). However, the positioning of the led emitters results in more light delivered into the room than an A -lamp in a recessed can (as described above).

Although I don't have such high ceilings or CR6, my experience with the Cree LR6 and Sylvania RT6 has been that they outperform the standard recessed can outfitted with 15W - 25W CFL bulbs.

I've attached a link to an online article about recessed can lighting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comments on recessed lighting

o
RE: Cree CR6 in 10' ceiling

I've used them in 9' ceilings and they were bright enough.

I've seen 10' ceilings with 65w incandescent R30 floods (which are about the same brightness and beam spread) and they sufficed. You may need to space them slightly closer together than if you used high-wattage PAR38 (the larger siaze) halogen downlights, but only slightly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here