Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these exterior entry fixtures?

Posted by Jennydotz (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 22:41

Photobucket

Photobucket

I hope I am in the right place here, please point to me in the right direction for an answer i Im not!

These are on my house mounted on the outside entry stairs. There are about 6 of them and I've only seen evidence that 1 actually works. I can't find a switch for them in the house, or a solar panel but 1 works and I don't know why.

Can you replace those bulbs? Can the units be replaced? the house was built in 72, but Im guessing the lights are newer than that. It would be very handy to have lights on the stairs, how to make them work?

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these exterior entry fixtures?

I'm sure you could find replacement bulbs somewhere. If you take one of the bulbs to the hardware, home improvement, or lighting store, someone should be able to point you in the right direction. You could easily remove the current lights and replace with something else, but I doubt you'll be able to find something exactly like those. Do check your wiring carefully and definitely find out why they are on to begin with! We played hours of the find the switch game in our home when we bought it. There was a basement light on all the time. Turns out, it was completely under the crawlspace and not easy to access. We ended up just shutting off breakers until the lights went out and tried to find what else was on that breaker. If you have access under the steps, you might be able to follow the wire into the house as well if you don't mind crawling on the ground.

o

THanks MrsMortarMixer. I did a quick scan at Lowes and did not see replacement bulbs, but I will do a more exhaustive search later. I will definitely have to investigate the wiring as well.

o

Before assuming that the lamps ("bulbs") are bad, it would be helpful to check the power at each fixture. Determine if the power is AC or DC and the voltage. Perhaps the lamp is not bad, but power is absent at that fixture. The lamp may have a marking to identify it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here