Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bought Juno Trac 12; Have 120V direct wire--now what?

Posted by irishlaw1 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 21:47

We are at the tail end of our kitchen reno. The electrician wired for UCLs and told us to "buy what we want". For a variety of reasons, i bought the Juno Trac 12 system. Electrican came today to finish everything up and explained that he direct wired for 120V UCLs. (I guess I should have asked more questions, or educated myself...but... here we are). I looked at my receipt and it said non-returnable/25% restocking fee...So my husband went t return them and the people at the lighting store scoffed, saying it would be simple to switch out the 120V for the low volt with transformer. Electrican says he "can" do it, but may make a mess of our cabinets. One final issue: we have a "fire stop" all around the kitchen -- and that is the issue the electrican points to as stopping him from wiring. Our basement is below the kitchen and is open.
Does anyone here have any practical advice, or an opinion on what I should do? I am obviously a rookie at this, and I am (not as obviously) very very sick of thinking about it. Advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bought Juno Trac 12; Have 120V direct wire--now what?

The route which will give the least headache is to use direct wire 120V AC lighting.

Two other alternatives
1. Have the existing 120V AC wiring for the UCL separated out to form the low voltage wiring. Downsides - may not be simple depending on how it was wired up. A separate 120V AC run (with switch(es)) is required to the power supply (transformer).

2. Fish new low voltage wiring and add a separate 120V AC run with the necessary controlling switch(es) to the power supply (transformer).

Your electrician will need to use the appropriate wiring gauge to account for the voltage drop and current draw.

In both cases, the power supply could be left in the basement.

Both could require additional holes inside the cabinets.

o
RE: Bought Juno Trac 12; Have 120V direct wire--now what?

Thanks for the response, davidtay. It sounds to me like the electrician is giving us the straight scoop and the lighting store is telling us it is "easy" to change because they sold us the lights. To keep things simple, it sounds like we need to return the Juno system (and pay the restocking fee-yikes) and then buy something else. You helped me understand it all a little better! Thanks.
Julie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here