Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stumped on how to light half of my kitchen

Posted by mdm144 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 21:23

We're about to start on our kitchen remodel. We're combining our old kitchen with what was an eat-in/breakfast area and making it all one big family cooking space.

This has lead to a challenge on the lighting front. Lighting the "old kitchen" half is no problem as it has flat, 8 ft ceilings. We'll be doing 9 recessed lights there.

The old eat-in area, however, has a sloped ceiling (high of 10 ft, sloping down to 7 ft where it meets an outside wall). A large portion of that ceiling is glass skylights/atrium style windows. To complicate even further, the other side of that ceiling is shingled roof, so I'd rather not put in recessed lights there and give up any insulation. It gets a little chilly in there as it is due to all the glass.

Thoughts I've had:
- Some sort of track/rail lighting system
- Large pendant light(s)? Maybe some drum pendants?

Since the idea is that this will be one big space, I'd like to keep the lighting as even as possible across the two halves.

Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bigger diagram

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stumped on how to light half of my kitchen

Cove lighting?

o

Would cove lighting by itself be enough to adequately light the whole room? Most places I've seen cove lighting had some other source of light like cans or pendants to help out.

Current thought is to use 2 or three of these shallow drum pendants.

Here is a link that might be useful: drum pendant

o

It is possible with high output LED. The color kinetics website has more details on cove lighting possibilities.

Using pendants would be useful. In all likelihood, they will need to be augmented.

o
cove lighting details

The link below has details on how a cove could be made for uplighting.

Here is a link that might be useful: specs and ideas

o

A rail system would make it easier to have the lights at the same level though out the kitchen. Or at least a rail with pendents over the island.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here