Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing T12 Flourescent Lamps.

Posted by g-mann (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 20:27

My shop light has T12 25W lamps that need replacing. They are the originals, and in fact made by G.E. and say "Utility Shop Lamp" on the end. My problem is that I cannot find T12 in 25W. The only thing I can find are T12 40W.

I need to know before I buy. Will the T12 40W work as replacements for the T12 25W?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing T12 Flourescent Lamps.

No.

Why not change out to t8? The t12 lamps have been discontinued for a while now.

o

These are 4' lamps? David provided good advice. T8 is much better than T12, from by cold start, flicker, brightness maintenance,.... If you are any good at all with wiring and the light is quality, replace the ballast and put in new lamps. If the light is junk, go buy something else.

If the light goes on and stays on for long periods, an instant start ballast is best. If you turn it on and off a lot, rapid start/program start will be better because the lamps last a lot longer. If you don't use the light much at all, don't worry about it. Pay attention to the wiring or the original ballast because changing types will mean changing the sockets.

o

A Google search shows T12 25 watt lamps being available. Price with shipping added is steep.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps

o

T12 lamp fixtures are no longer sold (i don't think), but replacement bulbs are still available. But yeah, I'd replace the ballast with one designed for T8 tubes because they're more efficient, available in a wider variety, and the electronic T8 ballasts don't hum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here