Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need rec for light above sink.....

Posted by footwedge (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 20:17

The cabinet above the sink is 50" above the countertop and the cabinet is 45" wide. I would like to use cree led lighting but not sure if I should use the 4" or 6" or use 2-4" bulbs.

Which one will provide the proper lighting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need rec for light above sink.....

How about using a light strip like the Philips power core?

o

do you mean something like this:

http://ledneonlight.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11_60&zenid=aecaa133080f7544b93658145eb44b5c

I must say I'm not real thrilled about cutting the wood cabinet to install the cree. What length would you recommend and do you know if the lutron DVSCCL-153P is compatible with this fixture? I already purchased this dimmer based on lutron's rec thinking I was going to install the cree.

o

That could work as a solution. However, you need a low voltage electronic dimmer. I don't think the DVSCCL-153P would be suitable. Ask Lutron.

I would go with a line voltage LED solution like that in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED power cove

o
light length

As for the recommended length, I would estimate based on
a. The total light output for the strip.
b. The estimated output per sq ft and do a calculation for just the sink area alone.

I would venture that the light will be a single strip with a length between 2' to 3'.

o

Thanks for the info but this is not within the budget. Do you have any other suggestions?

o

T5 fluorescent?
Or a LED panel light?

o

The DW does not want a fluorescent, so I guess I will just have to cut the cabinet.

Noticed that you have experience with the cree LR6. Would this provide to much light or would it be better to use the LR4? I would rather cut a 4" over a 6" hole.

o

The LR6 is brighter than the LR4 or CR6. All the Cree lights are dimmable.

The LR4 (entire package of trim, can, light costs ~ $160)

I would explore the possibility of using either a LED strip or panel before cutting up the cabinet.

o
Alternatives

I've included a link to a led panel manufacturer below as an example. There are many more.

Alternatives to installing a recessed light can in a cabinet
a. Puck lighting - LED/ Xenon/ Halogen
b. Strip lighting - LED/ fluorescent/ Xenon /Halogen
i. Exposed, shining directly down.
ii. Configured as cove lighting - the light source is not directly viewable. Light source is probably either LED or fluorescent. Will require quite a bit of woodworking to get right.
c. LED panel lighting - edge lit or a layer of lexan covering the led elements. Mostly low voltage. Edge lit panels provides the equivalent of cove lighting in a tight space.
d. EL (Electroluminescent) lighting panel.

The most practical choices are a. through c.

Here is a link that might be useful: luminous film price list

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here