Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fan Light In Room Goes Out Very Often

Posted by kelper (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 20:06

Hello,
I have a fan in my room with a light installment, but it has not been working properly for the last few months. After an average of 3 days after installing a new lightbulb, the light will start to flicker, and it shortly dies afterward. After that, I put in a new lightbulb, and that does not work. I usually have the jangle around the light socket with a pair of pliers, and then the new lightbulb will work. Well, after a short time, the cycle will continue, and the new lightbulb will start flickering and go out.

How would I go about fixing this? Do I have to install a new ceiling fan?

I think this was caused when I started to turn on the fan a long time ago. It might have moved around some parts that broke the light fixture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fan Light In Room Goes Out Very Often

Try replacing the light socket. If it is shorting out internally that can make bulbs flicker and stop working.

The socket should be a standard design available from Walmart, etc.

o
RE: Fan Light In Room Goes Out Very Often

Yup, I think that's the problem. There was a very loose and broken part where the socket meets the light bulb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here