Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
UL rating for bathroom lights?

Posted by nv178177 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 16, 09 at 19:42

I found my dream sconce for above my vanity area that is approx. 70" from the showerhead. It is NOT UL approved for a bathroom according to the manufacturer. The store I purchased it from said that is only because it has a fabric shade on it. Really? I've seen a lot of lights with fabric shades.
Anyway, is this safe? What is the worst case scenario?

Restoration Hardware has a similar light listed under their bathroom lighting section, but when I called and asked them if it was UL approved for moist areas, they said they didn't have that info available and sent my request to a product researcher.

Can I use my dream non-UL approved light?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UL rating for bathroom lights?

A sconce with a fabric shade in a bathroom? OK

It is highly unlikely that any lamp with a fabric shade will have a damp rated approval from UL.

If your bathroom experiences high levels of humidity, I would not purchase the lamp. Why take the chance?

o
RE: UL rating for bathroom lights?

There is no special UL listing for bathroom lights, other than "wet" location designation for inside showers.
Your shade may not stand up to the moisture in the room,depending on the humidity level, but it will be safe,and approved

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here