Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chandelier: small room but big table?

Posted by kitchennovice44 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 19:33

When your dining room (actually dining space/open layout) is small (8' x 11') and already fairly busy with art, mirror, windows, but your dining table is fairly big (42" x 72"), are you better off going a bit smaller in chandy size to complement room size or going a bit bigger to play to table proportion?

I've read all the "rules of thumb" about choosing a chandy fixture that say go 12" smaller than table width (that would be 30") or add room proportions together, (that would be 19") Totally different specs! I love a chandy that's 20" diameter, but PB designer tells me that's too small for table. Just curious if anyone faced this dilemma themselves or have opinions one way or the other...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chandelier: small room but big table?

I've got a 24" 5 arm crystal chandelier that is 28" high and it looks just fine over a 42" x70" wide table. With 2 extensions in we sometimes use candlesticks to supplement. In my opinion a 30" diameter light fixture would overwhelm a 42" table. I've seen a few dining rooms where the owners got carried away looking only at internet pictures and the result is absurd. I would say 20" to 24" would work just fine, but remember the fixture has to provide light. Would a 20" have a sufficient number of bulbs for effective not over bright lighting?

o

Thanks Roadbike: one I'm considering takes 5 60w bulbs (candle-style,) so hopefully bright enough. I think 22-24" size would be great, but I really like this 20" fixture: so may gamble on it. (Funny...some designers say it's always better to go too big than too small when in doubt re: chandelier size...while others say just the opposite. Guess it's all personal preference.)

o

Go for it and enjoy!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here