Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Under-cab lighting newbie. Not sure what to look for!

theresse
13 years ago

Hello -

Oops - the electrician is showing up Tuesday morning to install under-cab lighting and I've yet to choose something! I didn't want to use electrician company's lighting because they have to order it (it needs to be done with) and also they might charge more (or not?).

My upper cabinets are the original 1913 craftsman (painted white) cabs and sit lower than most at just a hair above 14" from countertop (or what will be the countertop) so if possible, I'd like to avoid having to put some trim up to hide the lights (I'd love to find something that's flat enough). Since the cabs are so low, there's a chance you won't see them anyway. The left upper cabinets are 38.5" long and the set to the right of the sink are only 38" long which is interesting...

I'll mostly be using the lights for indirect/low-light ambience, however I'm willing to bet I'll love the option of having them brighter for particular prepping jobs, since we don't have much in the way of ceiling lighting.

My questions are:

1. can anyone recommend a place to shop that's either a chain or else is located in Portland, Oregon?

2. Can lights be put in the back more so as not to be seen so easily, or is there a reason they should be centered under the cabinets?

3. Do you know of flatter/thinner lights that still look well enough and aren't a cold light? I'm not into the florescent look I'm afraid. Anything you can recommend?

4. Can they be made to dim?

5. How many are typically put in per X amount of space? We only have one long countertop in our still mostly original kitchen. I think the length is 12'. There is a 30"-wide farm sink sitting right in the middle there, which sits below a couple of windows. Those windows have upper cabinets on either side of them, reaching all the way to the ceiling as well as to both sides of the rooms. Again, the cabs are about 38" long.

I'll include a a link below w/ Flickr pics that show my kitchen in progress, if having seeing that will help (?). Ignore the fact that all there is for a countertop is underlayment!

Thank you so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of upper cabinets in relation to countertop

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County