Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suethemidwife

no way to do undercabinet lighting

suethemidwife
14 years ago

This is my first post. I'm doing a mini-remodel on my 1939 kitchen which currently has very inadequate lighting. I would like under cabinet lighting as I like lots of light close to the work when I'm doing food prep. My cabinets are old fashioned painted birch, and the uppers are only 12 1/2 inches above the countertop, with no recess at all in which to hide lights. I brought home some "ultraslim" fluorescent tube fixtures and tacked them up just to see, and when sitting at the kitchen table the lights were much too visible and distracting. OTOH, the uppers only project 11 1/2 inches`from the wall (the counters are 24 3/4 inches deep) so maybe with appropriate, well-planned ceiling lighting I can illuminate the counters adequately without lights under the cabinets.

Currently there is one surface mounted central fixture (not very effective in this long narrow room) and a cheap 4 lamp track (50 w MR 16s) over the stove which I put up a few years ago so I could have a clue what I was cooking. Both of these need to go away. I imagine I can get light on the counter tops with appropriately planned and placed recessed lighting (ceilings are low at 91 1/2 inches). Part of me thinks recessed cans are wrong in this somewhat old fashioned kitchen; however the Ikea dual-fuel 36" range that's about to take up residence here will shatter the "original" look anyway. But I wonder how a series of 3 surface mounted fixtures for ambient light would look, with just 2 recessed task lights over the stove.

The real question though, is should I try to find a way to have under cabinet lights, or do you all think there's a ceiling solution? Sorry about the ramble.

Comments (6)