Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Lights in Vaulted Ceiling - Cree?

Posted by puppymomfl (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 17:32

I'm late in the game on my new construction and have been trying to absorb all the info in this forum, but I want to be sure I'm not making an irrevocable error.

My kitchen and great room have vaulted ceilings. I want to use can lights for general lighting in both areas. The ceiling height where the cans will go will be between 13' - 15'. Will the LR6/CR6 Cree fixtures spaced 6'-7' apart provide enough light?

I have to give the builder my decision by Wednesday, so any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Lights in Vaulted Ceiling - Cree?

You might want to consider the Cree LR6-DR1000. These have greater brightness than the standard LR6 and are useful with high ceilings like yours. Quite costly, however.

I would call Cree and ask their suggestions. I did for my own kitchen project and received a lot of useful advice, including not only the specific fixture but also the best dimmer, etc. Good luck!

o

The lr6 should work fine. Lutron has a more comprehensive list of dimmers known to work with the Cree lights.

o

The LR-6 is a pretty good light soon to be replaced by Cree (shhush) It only dimms down to 25 percent. It is a good light though.

o

Thanks so much. I am reassured that I'm on the right track and I'll call call Cree today.

o

Also, you may have to play with dimmers with the LR Cree lights. Very finicky. You may get some blinking and or humming.

o

Cree's recommendation to me for dimmers with the 10 LR6's I will have on one switch (and the 3 on a 2nd switch and 2 on a 3rd switch) are the Lutron Skylark SF-10P (single pole) and Lutron Skylark SF-103P (3-way). Not as cosmetically sleek as some of Lutron's other dimmers, but I just want 'em to work w/o issues.

o

Those should work fine

o

The list of lutron dimmers and modules that are compatible with LR6 & CR6 can be viewed at:
http://www.lutron.com/ResourceLibrary/LEDReportCard/LED_LR6 Report Card.pdf
http://www.lutron.com/ResourceLibrary/LEDReportCard/CR6 Report Card_RevB.pdf

o

We have had some issues with RA maestros with LR-6's as well as Radio RA. They work better with the CR-6. In fact all dimmers work better with the CR-6 other than the electronic ones.

o

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate the help!

o

It was recommended to me that I use 'Nora Lighting' for our vaulted ceilings (about 15-18 ft) instead of Cree. They are 4" cans and guaranteed to last 7 years. I absolutely REFUSE to use 6" cans! I haven't checked the cost as compared to Cree. Hopefully they will be competitively priced.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here