Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Under Cabinet light positioning

Posted by boone_2009 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 17:19

We are installing linear fluorescent u/c lights and from what I've read and researched, the lights need to be placed beneath the front end of the cabinet, facing the backsplash wall (cabinet light rail will cover the fixture).
However, our electrician says he always installs them at the back of the cabinet.
Feedback, please?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Under Cabinet light positioning

The traditional method is to install at the rear as
1. The wiring and holes are better hidden.
2. Conventional perception that more light output towards the front is desirable.

You should try both locations and see which works better.

o

Thank you so much, Davidtay. Makes sense.
The reason I read for installing in front such that the light faces the back was that it would be more evenly distributed over both the backsplash and the countertop, plus glare would be reduced. But I guess with light rails beneath cabinets, glare would not be a problem.
I'll try both, as you suggested.

o

It is not strange or uncommon to install in the front, although many contractors seem to install in back by default. We installed ours in the front and the light spread much better than when installing in the back.

o

That's good to know, calumin. Thank you!

o

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but if we mount LED fixtures at the front of the cabs (current xenon fixtures are mounted at the back) how do you deal with the wires, or "plugs" that are exposed under the cabs? DH is concerned it would be a safety hazard to have exposed cords in the kitchen?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here