Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francesca_sf_gw

Remote Lighting Switches

francesca_sf
13 years ago

Has anyone installed remote light switches? What is your experience, good or bad? Has anyone installed products from Lightning Switches? Many thanks!

Comments (8)

• David
    13 years ago

It is rather novel to be able to turn lights on/ off in other rooms from your bedside.

If you're putting in whole house automation, you can control such devices as window blinds, sprinklers, ... not just from a main control panel, but even when you're on the road. You can also program lights/ other appliances to turn on/ off at preset times of the day.

• francesca_sf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

davidtay, Thanks for responding. There is a big wide world of possibilities with whole house automation. We're looking to replace our ancient intercom/door entry system (made by Emerson/Rittenhouse and still works!). There have been so many advances in technology since the early '70s, and so many choices.

• pamelah
    13 years ago

fancesca- We met with the contractors and manufacturer's rep yesterday at our new home re placement and spec of our recessed and other lighting fixtures. We are using Lutron Maestro switches and dimmers, but we are not doing the full house Lutron automation (crazy amt of $). The manufacturer's rep suggested a great solution for us at a super reasonable cost. There's a wireless control (battery operated w/ about 3 yr battery life) that we can have installed that will control a number of lights remotely. My husband wants a control at his side of the bed for the outside security lights and front porch.

Sorry I can't remember the name of this device right now. I will post it when I get the revised quote. As I recall, the switch to be controlled wirelessly has to be low voltage wired, and the remote has about a 60' range.

We will also use this type of control to comply with certain Code restrictions. For example, we have a big walk-thru shower. The plans called out a switch for the shower light w/in about 10 inches of the shower door opening. Code will not permit that, but Code will allow the installation of the wireless control.

• francesca_sf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pamelah - A wireless, battery-operated remote switch? We'd be very interested in learning the name of the device, whenever you have it. What a great idea to remotely control security lights from the bedroom!

• pamelah
    13 years ago

francesca:
    I talked to the electrician today. He said the switch is called a pico wireless control switch. Hope that helps you!
    Pam

• cinnamonsworld
    13 years ago

You know, I was wishing they had simple battery-powered LED lights, maybe like a pack of 5 undercabinet types, that also came with a switch you could stick on the wall. You press the switch button and voila, they all light up or turn off.

• francesca_sf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you pamelah! I will definitely check into the pico wireless switch.

• sunnyflies
    13 years ago

These may be a different type of remote, but I have remote switches in my kitchen and they make a clicking sound when turned on and off. It was disconcerting at first, but I'm getting used to it. Also, there's a delay. The lights are not wired to the switch, they operate by a remote mechanism. Saved me from tearing out my plaster walls and ceiling.