Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ceiling fan height

Posted by rosey1952 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 16:41

Hi, I'm in the process of updating a home I recently purchased and will be replacing the ceiling fan in the living area. The ceiling is 16'11" and the second floor is open to the living area. The ceiling is wood and has a beam across the middle. Presently there is a fan with +/- 24" down rod centered on the ceiling to the right of the beam on the balcony side. I would prefer the fan be centered in the room closer to or on the beam, but think I am stuck with the placement due to feasibility/cost of moving it. I also think the fan is too high, as the manufacturer recommended height would be no higher than 9' from the floor for cathedral ceilings. However, with the fan placed that low I'm concerned that it would be odd looking down on it from the upper balcony. I would appreciate some advice on how to hang the fan for efficiency and still be pleasing esthetically. We have a wood stove in the room and really need the circulation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ceiling fan height

I see no particular problem with the fan being higher. You get less of a direct breeze effect, but it keeps the air moving for a more uniform temperature in the room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here