Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen1234_gw

UCL - dimming - DavidTay / others

Ellen1234
10 years ago

Ok, so my contractor has started the wiring for the UCL. I want LED tape/ribbon lights. He has the wire through the walls to connect runs as necessary. And I believe he has installed switched outlets to plug the LED lights into (power supply or whatever gets plugged in).

I had bought the Armacost LED tape lights from Home Depot just to have something, but he just informed me that the package indicates these are not dimmable. I know Armacost offers their own dimmer.

I'm wondering what my options are for dimming my UCL based on what he's done thus far (basically installed a switched outlet and used some kind of wire to connect the runs into the same circuit).

I'm not tied to Armacost.

I'm also not sure whether at this point we could switch to any direct-wired option given that he already installed the switched outlets.

1. Would I have to use the Armacost dimmer or can I use a normal LED wall dimmer?

2. I have heard about dimmable power supplies, but are these always direct wired, or are plug-in ones available?

3. Is there another brand which would allow me to plug into an outlet and also use a normal wall dimmer?

4. If I do just have him install the Armacost lights w/o dimming capability, how hard would it be to add dimming later?

Thanks!

Comments (6)