Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hallway lighting

Posted by phatham (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 15:12

Hi. My condo is undergoing some remodeling due to water damage from above. I'm trying to figure out what to do for lighting of my hallway. My hallway starts at the front door and opens up into my open living room/kitchen. Along the right side of the hallway are a couple bedrooms, a bathroom, and a couple closets. The left side has no doors but does have a floor to ceiling mirror across from the bathroom door. At the living room end of the hallway I have two built in floor to ceiling bookshelves, one on each side that are 6 feet wide broken up into three 2 ft sections. The hallway is rather wide at 65" which narrows to about 40" where the bookshelves are. The hallway is about 20 ft long. The ceiling is only 7'6".

There is a section of wall between the mirror and built-ins that is 6-7 ft wide that is a good spot for some artwork. I'm thinking a Juno 4" low voltage can with 445-WH slot aperture trim would work here. Question is how many will I need to cover 5 or 6 feet of horizontal wall space?

For the bookshelves I am kind of stumped. Do I stick an accent light in front of each section of the built-ins (meaning I'll have 6 holes in a 6' x 3.5' section of ceiling. not pretty)? Do I use 4 fixtures, one in between each section of the built-ins? 2 fixtures centered between the built-ins? a surface mount fixture? track lighting (keep in mind the ceiling is only 7'6")?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hallway lighting

I guess surface mount fixtures are out of the question?

Have you considered the possibility of using cove lighting and/ or undercabinet lighting for each of the shelves? That way, you won't have 6 holes in the ceiling.

Since your condo is undergoing remodelling, have you also thought about raising the ceiling?

o

There's not much room to raise the ceiling. Maybe 6 inches and there would still be soffits covering up pipes and ducts. It won't fit in the budget anyway.

Surface mount is not out of the question, but given the low ceiling height I don't know if it would work.

I did look a little into undercabinet lighting for the shelves, but given that the shelves are adjustable I don't think it would work. I found one company that makes specialized bookshelf lighting where the rails that the shelves rest on act as the conductor for the low voltage lamps but it is prohibitively expensive.

o

How about using cove lighting such as the Philips powercore? Or T5 fluorescent cove lighting.

Other alternatives include track lighting.

Low voltage lighting tends to be more costly. This also applies to the 4" cans you're contemplating.

The number of cans depends on the desired output per sq ft (eg 20 - 30 lumens per sq ft).

I'm also guessing that the work will not be DIY?

Here is a link that might be useful: cove lighting

o

Forgive me if this is something that should be obvious, but how exactly are you suggesting I use the cove lighting? A strip across the top to light the whole bookcase or one under each shelf?

o

it could take the form of a semi concealed strip on the ceiling providing a sheet of light for the front of the bookcase.

o
lighting ideas

Would the following be close to what you're thinking?
http://www.houzz.com/photos/query/library lighting/start=16

I've attached another link for some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: lighting ideas

o
RE: hallway lighting + bookcase

The Library Almere was what I was thinking about.

Was the bookcase lighting you looked at from phantom lighting?

Here is a link that might be useful: Philips ideas

o

Yes Phantom is what I found. They quoted me $120 per 2 ft section of lighting. If I wanted to light every shelf it would cost over $4k once you add in the transformers and wiring.

Thank you for the links. The houzz.com gallery gave me some ideas. I'm realizing that I don't need to light up every shelf. I could make a couple shelves "fixed" and use undercabinet lighting on those as accent lighting and then use one or two cans centered in the ceiling for general illumination. Kind of like this:

Contemporary Renovation Norwich VT contemporary living room

o

You're welcomed.

Yes, you don't really need to light up every shelf. It would probably be too bright anyway.

Just a thought, 6" cans are more affordable than 4" cans.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here