Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phatham

hallway lighting

phatham
12 years ago

Hi. My condo is undergoing some remodeling due to water damage from above. I'm trying to figure out what to do for lighting of my hallway. My hallway starts at the front door and opens up into my open living room/kitchen. Along the right side of the hallway are a couple bedrooms, a bathroom, and a couple closets. The left side has no doors but does have a floor to ceiling mirror across from the bathroom door. At the living room end of the hallway I have two built in floor to ceiling bookshelves, one on each side that are 6 feet wide broken up into three 2 ft sections. The hallway is rather wide at 65" which narrows to about 40" where the bookshelves are. The hallway is about 20 ft long. The ceiling is only 7'6".

There is a section of wall between the mirror and built-ins that is 6-7 ft wide that is a good spot for some artwork. I'm thinking a Juno 4" low voltage can with 445-WH slot aperture trim would work here. Question is how many will I need to cover 5 or 6 feet of horizontal wall space?

For the bookshelves I am kind of stumped. Do I stick an accent light in front of each section of the built-ins (meaning I'll have 6 holes in a 6' x 3.5' section of ceiling. not pretty)? Do I use 4 fixtures, one in between each section of the built-ins? 2 fixtures centered between the built-ins? a surface mount fixture? track lighting (keep in mind the ceiling is only 7'6")?

Comments (9)