Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrhoads23

undercabinet lighting: xenon vs led. how much can leds be dimmed?

jrhoads23
11 years ago

Currently remodeling my kitchen... should my under cabinet lighting be Xenon or LED?

I have researched and I think I am going to go with Pegasus brand. I also looked at Kichler, NSL and CSL - Pegasus seems to get good reviews and is priced very well. I was originally going to go with Xenon but have since considered LED. If LEDs are the better choice, I dont mind paying more money for them because I know it will come back in saved energy. So cost isnt really a concern when choosing between Xenon and LED.

Here are my concerns...

Xenon heat - how bad it is? I know the halogens give off a lot of heat and Xenons arent that bad. But how bad is Xenon? For people that have them, what are your thoughts?

Dimmability - It sounds like Xenon are much better for dimming. They say the LEDs I am looking at are dimmable, but you should have at least 40 Watts in total. In my case I will have just over 40 Watts in total.

Dimmer switch - Everything I have read says that Xenons must be dimmed with a ELV dimmer and LEDs must be dimmed with a special LED dimmer. However Pegasus claims both their Xenon and LEDs can be dimmed with standard incandescent dimmers. (???)

Color - What gives off a better color - Xenon or LED?

Any opinions are welcome, both of the brands I have mentioned or the Xenon vs LED questions.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/designing-kitchens-bathrooms/475063-undercabinet-lighting-xenon-vs-led-how-much-can-leds-dimmed.html#ixzz210D44SxB

Comments (4)