Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Under Cabint LED strip Lights Power Supply and Dimming Control

Posted by smacman7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 15:00

Hi all,
I have been lurking for years and finally decided to register at GW. Here is my lighting issue:
I am currently toward the tail end of our DIY kitchen reno and am ready to tackle the under cabinet accent lighting, which will be the 5m spools found on Amazon for under $15 (Risky???). So the way I had the wiring done is (1) switch connects (3) separate cabinets, so I have three sets of romex coming out of the wall under the cabinets.

Question One: Do I need three separate power transformers for each zone?

Question Two: Do I need three separate dimming controls located under the cabinets? Ideally I would prefer to have (1) dimmer at the switch location. My other LED can lighting is controlled by sliding dimmer switches like these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Toggler-150-Watt-Single-Pole-3-Way-CFL-LED-Dimmer-White-TGCL-153PH-WH/202746671#.UdxbtbEo6M8

Question Three: Does anyone have experience with these low cost LED spools:

http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-LED-Ribbon-LEDwholesalers-2026ww-27k/dp/B002Q907EW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373381875&sr=8-1&keywords=2700+led+strip

I figure the cost is cheap enough to give them a try.

Thanks in advance for any direction.
Chris, in Omaha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Under Cabint LED strip Lights Power Supply and Dimming Contro

No for 1 if each run is small enough.

No to 2.

The LED UCL thread is sufficiently generic to cover both low voltage and line voltage (direct wire) LEDs.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED UCL continuation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here