Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leegw

Optimal spacing of recessed LED ceiling fixtures in kitchen

Leegw
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

This is to ask for advice on Kitchen lighting, primarily the spacing of recessed ceiling LEDs.

I plan to put 4" recessed LEDs over the counters around two sides of the kitchen (see illustration). It is a bit of an interim renovation - eventually the entire kitchen will be renovated but right now we need to replace 3 double track lights and a ceiling fixture in the center. I can add task lighting under the wall cabinets if I need to but I would prefer to wait until we do a complete reno later, and we would add pendants over a peninsula or island if we have one. I'll relocate any cans that do not match the new design at that time, however I expect they'll be fine.
One potential complication: there is a joist in the ceiling that runs parallel to the one wall at ~25" from the wall. Wall cabinets run up to the ceiling and there is crown molding that extends the total cabinet out approx 14" from the corner of the ceiling.

The room:
18x11 plus an L niche for the refrigerator, 8 foot ceiling, 3 foot counter height, 2 lutron maestro dimmers already installed - can add more dimmers if required, shallow access to attic side of ceiling, but a lot of blown fiberglass insulation

The goal:
Ideal spacing from wall to prevent shadows but not get too close to the cabinets
Optimal number of fixtures - enough light without wasting money on extra fixtures

Specifications I think I know so far:
2700k, Air-tight, IC, remodel cans

Here are my questions:
How far between fixtures? And how many lumens per fixture?
Best color for trim/baffles in a kitchen?
Best bulb type? R, BR, etc

Thanks for your help!