Return to the Lighting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rewiring antique British sconces?

Posted by drbeanie2000 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 14:22

So there are these British art nouveau sconces that I'm drooling over. They've been restored and rewired - in England. I am in the US and so I would presumably have to rewire them. I know nothing about this - would it be complicated? I can't see how, but then like I said, I know nothing about it.

Thanks!

drbeanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rewiring antique British sconces?

If the lights use indandescant bulbs the rewiring would have been very simple. The only possible problem I can think of is that the bulb socket is a non-standard one.

o

The bulb socket should be easy to change too. British lamps often have bayonet sockets, though some have US-style Edison screw type sockets; the latter may be interchangeable, even if it's the slightly larger 27mm rather than US 26mm socket. UK power will be 230v with hot/hot rather than split-phase 120v (hot/neutral), but in most cases the socket, cord, and (if present) switch can be changed out, often easily.

o

Thanks for the replies. After seeing some beautiful English Art Nouveau light fixtures at a massive showroom in the US, discovering very similar ones online in the UK at a much lower price seemed like a godsend. I will proceed with caution but it's nice not to hear that it's IMPOSSIBLE that we could purchase these beautiful sconces from the UK and use them in our New England living room!

I'll be sure to keep your input in mind - thanks again!

bean

o

" UK power will be 230v with hot/hot"

UK is 240 V to neutral.

The US uses Edison circuits to produce 240 V from a pair of 120 V legs.

o

oops, you're correct & I stand corrected - i'm thinking about European appliances sold in the US that are often fitted with 220v hot/hot/ground plugs without a neutral, but that's just to accommodate our funky split-phase 110v power in the US where you need two hot wires to get 220v. In UK/Europe that same appliance would run on single phase 220v with a single hot - and lamps are the same way.

o

Because the British and other Europeans run on 220v, their wiring is heavier than ours and can easily take the electrical load. I brought several lamps back when we moved home from England and just had to change the bulb socket -- and the plug, but that's not an issue with sconces.

o

Since they are most likely wired for 240 volts and you will be find using them in US (110 volts), the wiring will be fine. There are "adapters" that fit sockets if they have "screw-in" sockets that can change the socket size (available through specialty lighting stores). Where do you live? I know Shades of Light in Virginia carries them. Here's some great antique lighting that is already rewired and UL approved!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shades of Light antique wiring

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lighting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here